SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm plan on starting a free web host for sites dealing with gaming, cars, sports, etc. Two part question here:

1. Making money - Other than the standard banner on their page deal, what else can I do to make money? I've thought of e-mail newsletter with advetisments and seach programs, but they just don't appeal to me. Short of selling my own advertiment, which I plan to do if this idea is popular, how else can I make money?

2. Promotion - Where, besides the search engines, can a free web host promote? I spend alot of time at most of the popular forums and will submit to http://www.freewebspace.net , but where else can I go to promote my service, other than link exchanges of course.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think host searches will get you the most amount of traffic, you can also sell customer info for money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by necrominator
    you can also sell customer info for money.
    Are you seriously recommending him to do that? That's illegal, you know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope he's not serius! Remind me never to sign up for anything on his site!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ROTFL!!!

Now I've seen it all!
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never sell out my customer like that. Does anyone have some legal ideas ?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by M. James
    Is it? I don't think it's illegal as long as you include the fact that you will resell information in your terms of agreement ... when a user agrees to it, what's wrong with doing it?

Ofcourse I am anti-reselling customer info, but I don't think you can call it illegal when you mention it in your TOA ...

And, Syanet, know what you're doing. A free hosting service generally is a big pain in the butt. Server problems, stupid people wanting just too much tech support, checking for illegal files - it's no fun - and with advertising revenue being so bad, the pot of gold might actually be somewhere else.

Just my $.02 - can I give you that for not reselling my info?
    Mike Ossendrijver
    Sales, AdSensor - Quality Online Marketing
    mike@adsensor.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not just a general free web host. All sites will have to be approved by me. It's more like an affliate program really. I'll only host sites involving computer games, sports, cars, etc. Hopefully this will make it easier to sell advertising in the long run since one age group is usually interested in the same thing. Sort of like http://www.sportplanet.com , wehere they host selected individual websites.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know some sites do that, and yes its perfectly legal as long as your users know, actually unless you have a privacy policy which says that you wont sell info you can auction it off on ebay. I know some sites collect pretty demographic info, and then sell it, people pay big money for each good signup. I would estimate more than 10 bucks, thats what i heard atleast, so its a very good way to make a buck from a free hosting site. You need to offer advanced server side services like php and asp that will get you a lot more customers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by CMPTR.com
    Originally posted by M. James
    Is it? I don't think it's illegal as long as you include the fact that you will resell information in your terms of agreement ... when a user agrees to it, what's wrong with doing it?

Ofcourse I am anti-reselling customer info, but I don't think you can call it illegal when you mention it in your TOA ...

And, Syanet, know what you're doing. A free hosting service generally is a big pain in the butt. Server problems, stupid people wanting just too much tech support, checking for illegal files - it's no fun - and with advertising revenue being so bad, the pot of gold might actually be somewhere else.

Just my $.02 - can I give you that for not reselling my info?
    I never said Necrominator sells e-mail address, but it is illegal to sell people's e-mail addresses without their consent. On the other hand, if they signup for the offers or agree to them, it's okay.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well just to let you guys know i dont sell email addresses and never did.

I read an article in upside magazine or one of those, dont remember the one exacly, maybe it was an online article, basicly it said that if they DONT have a privacy statement and they sell email addresses they are ontouchable. Many of you head about the toy store which offered to auction customer info, and got sued, that is because they had a privacy policy which said that they will not sell info, if on the other hand they didnt have any privacy policy they could auction it off to the highest spamer.
    Sure it doesnt seam fair, but currently the US government has no laws against it, and i dought congress will pass them anytime soon, especially wiht bushes new hands off the web approach

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I have income strightened out, at least for now. But what about promotion? Other then seach engines and host indexs, how else can I get noticed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For promotion, GoTo.com has a popular pay-per-ranking search engine you might want to give a shot...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    i think you should promote your host also to sites like freecenter.com. And you maybe you could get a good review too.

Hope this helps.
    Soccer Directory | Travel Directory
    (free - reciprocal will give you featured status)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's a no brainer, the best place to promote ur free hosting isn't at a free webhost directory of freebie directory.

it's at sites/directories targeted toward gaming, cars, sports, etc (the targeted content u plan on hosting).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying to figure out a way for that to work. I can't pay other sites to link me, and I don't like the idea of having to put a recepricol link on my page. So the question is now, how can I advertise with them?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wanting something for nothing is always hard to pull off, hehe.

good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can try to hypnotize the webmaster into putting your banner up for free.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I broke down and added a 'sponsors' section on my index page. Now the quesiton of where to get them arises. Where do I get them? THEfairhousing suggested gaming and car sites, but there already hosted and would have no intrest in me. I would however put a link to them on my front page, but why would they do that? Get untargeted traffic from a free web host. Why would they bother? Anyone have some better ideas?