Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unwanted scrollbar problem

Hi,
    I'm having this strange problem with an horizontal scrollbar showing up in the redesign of a site. the only difference in the redesign is that instead of having an embedded flash movie as a navigation bar in my div id="layer3" I know have a text based navigation bar in that same div id="layer3"
    This seems to only happen in IE 5 on a Mac and I can't seem to get rid of it.

Here is an example of both designs :

old one :

http://killwhat.com/html/shtml/alpha...ecent_new.html

new one:

http://killwhat.com/html/shtml/alpha...t_new_alt.html

Any suggestions how I can get rid of this problem without using iframes ? thanks

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly001
    This seems to only happen in IE 5 on a Mac and I can't seem to get rid of it.
    There's your problem!! Horrendous browser, brimming with bugs, particularly around scrollbars. Frames/iFrames just don't work in Mac IE for a kick off. scrollbars="no"? Forget it!

You've probably slammed in to another Mac MSIE bug. My advice to you is detect Mac MSIE and create a workaround version for that specific browser. It sucks, I know.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, IE 5 on Mac is about as annoying as my all time nightmare Netscape 4.7.

The scroll=no in the body if changed to auto corrects that problem but adds another one (on IE5 Mac, the page scrolls down all the way to the end of the layer's content hidden part) The only way I have figured how to fix this in the past is using a redirect to an iframe based page for ie 5 mac users but this involves double work when updating the pages. This would be ok if the site was not updated so damn often...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly001
    The scroll=no in the body if changed to auto corrects that problem
    But if you refresh the frame contents, Mac IE 'forgets' there aren't supposed to be any scrollbars and puts them in again.

It's just such a pain!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so, you're saying suck it up and use a redirect for ie 5 mac users and use iframes on their user specific page instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I would do. Or consider your audience and take a view as to whether it's worth it. As long as it degrades gracefully and the site is perfectly usable, typically Macs are an extremely low figure in the stats of a website...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, I know but it kills me to have to look at that ugly and unneeded horizontal scrollbar every time I go to the site. I use a Mac and ie 5 primarly so I'm one of the users affected by it and I can have none of that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)