SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

web directory question....

Hi,

I have a question for all you webmasters and business owners out there.

If you were to submit your site to a directory, which of the two submission methods would you prefer?

1.) No registration. Similar to DMOZ. You add all the necessary information pertaining to your site, click submit, and when your website is reviewed and accepted, you recieve an email.

2.) One must register a username and password to submit (although everything IS free). Once registered, you log into the user control panel where you can submit a new site, edit an existing site, and view which sites are listed, pending, suspended, etc.

Which would you prefer?

I've alread built method 2 into my directory, but I'm thinking about scrapping it. From what I've been reading lateley, most webmasters want a quick submit method. The problem I'm forseeing with method one is actually updating info about the listing, which may need to happen quite often when considering whom my directory is really targeting.

But, I aim to please the masses. So, what are your thoughts?

Thanks.
    ncarlson.net - a programmer's dystopia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick after-thought, mabey I should implement both methods into the directory and give the webmaster a choice.
    ncarlson.net - a programmer's dystopia

Pointiest Petitions carrotflowers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you implement method 2 so that the registration process is clear and fast loading, developers shouldn't have a problem with it. I've submitted both ways and have no preference. What I do care about if there is a form is how fast I can get through it. I don't like a bunch of required questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't mind, have both options and let the webmaster decide There can't be any real downside to that. Though I would like to agree with furryyuri and say that whatever option you chose, make submitting the forms simple and fast as that encourages people to do so