SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting up a pay to chat site question

I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

I have a possible new client asking if I can design a web site that can handle pay to do a one on one chat sessions using Pay Pal. No, itís not an adult site, but unfortunately the set up looks like it should be the same sort of thing. What Iím looking for is someplace online I could read how to do this kind of set up. I canít even find a good chat software that can be set up so the customer has to pay before they can enter the one on one chat room. Weíve designed quite a few web sites that do ecommerce before, but this is the first one that needs this kind of features. If anyone has any ideas where I can start looking, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it sounds like this psychic line that a buddy of mine has. He actually used PHP2Live - something like that. I do not know if he still uses it or not but that might be an option. He has a real merchant account - so not too sure about the payment side with paypal. They do offer that IPN (?) so that might be one option to help.

if you want some more info on the PHP2Live - let me know.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, but my client to be is looking to run a psychic site too.

Actually I was looking at PHP Live as a good chat system. It does seem to fit all the requirements. I think what I need is more basic help. Like how do I control who has paid, how long of a session have they paid for, etc. Iím familiar with the Pay Pal instant payment notice and I think that will work, but Iím not clear on how to control people in and out. I know itís by using some sort of secure log in/out system after paying for the time. Since I never had to set up this kind of site before, Iím a bit in the dark where to start. Iím familiar with php, pearl, and Iím crash learning ASP, so I just need to learn some basics on how to put it all together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well he actually coded everything himself. So I would assume that it would be pretty easy.

As far as using PayPal & the psychic chat line. Make sure that it is OK. Paypal shut down the adult websites because of Visa/Mastercard new rules. if he does choose to use it - open up another bank account just for Paypal. As soon as Paypal deposits the money - have him take it out. This way if something happens & Paypal freezes his account - there won't be any problems.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Paypal is OK with that because she's used it before. Do you happen to know of any tutorial web sites that go over how to set up a system like this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally no. I do not know if you checked out; http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...utions-outside - I would assume that something might be there as well? I mean - I would have it all built on the server - 15-30-45-60 min. And then whatever value comes back from Paypal - that is how long they chat?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chat times would be preset like you said. I think that I might be trying to make it more complex than it needs to be. I'm going to look at the Paypal site again to see if there is any examples. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, maybe I know more about programming than I let on? LOL. I also sent you a PM - just in case.