SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

buying preferences

hey everyone. i have kind of weird question to ask. i am on the fence and don't really know which way to go on this.

okay - here's the situation. i am working with an individual on the east coast that just developed a new product (i am providing marketing and sales services). he has an established website which he has some traffic going to. the problem is he has a shopping cart that cannot ask the user where they heard about the product (we need to be able to ascertain where people heard of it for commission reasons). also his hosting company has something to be desired. anyway - here is my dilemma - do i work with him to try and get him to switch to a cart that can better track sales and marketing efforts (he is wary of technology and does not really believe in the power of the internet - this may take some doing) or do i build my own site and sell his product myself?

Another way to say it: is it better to drive buyers to http://www.product.com or to http://www.mydomain.com/product? do you feel it makes a difference? this is a new product so image is really important. my other worry is that i don't have control of his site - i can't implement changes quickly (or quickly enough for my taste). what do you guys think? any help/advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lynn,
    this is just my personal opinion. If the product you are selling was something I was interested in buying I wouldnt care one way or the other if the URL to where the product was located was www.product.com or www.yourdomain.com/product. That's just my opinion.

Hope that helps,

-Josh

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    josh-
    thanks, i appreciate your opinion. i guess i am looking to see if there is any proven reason not to go one way or the other (it may just turn out to be dependent upon a shopper's personal opinion). once i decide on the path i am committed for a while so i want to make sure to make the right choice. thanks a lot for your post.