Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can this be done?

Task:
    A skin for a cms and its forum.

Idea:
    Make a vertical scrollbar when the message content has too wide line like this:
    Code:
    <DIV style="width: 540px; overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: visible; padding-bottom:16px;">
    This_is_a_sample_too_long_line_MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    </DIV>
    In IE this makes a nice scrollbar when needed and the forum does not go too wide.
    In Opera this makes the forum table go too wide, like it does in old solutions and is acceptable.
    In Netscape however the too long line goes off from the table and becomes all buggy.

The too long line could be some included graphic, or somesort of code or encryption key, etc.

Can this be fixed somehow so that it would work nicely in as many browsers as possible or like it now works in opera in the rest (Netscape, grrr)?

(sitepoint forum engine seams to have each post in its own area and add spaces in the text if it is too long, so the spaces in the long MMM line should not be there.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkkimaagi
    (sitepoint forum engine seams to have each post in its own area and add spaces in the text if it is too long, so the spaces in the long MMM line should not be there.)
    In my experience, it doesn't matter what resolution your display, SPF always has a horizontal scrollbar and half the content off the rhs of the page.

Take this window for example at 1280px x 1024px.

Andy
    From the English nation to a US location.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure overflow-x and overflow-y are IE-only. Regular overflow is standard though.
    http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_pos_overflow.asp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a demonstration here:
    http://oldkeep.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=1

The problem is netscape. How can I fix the text leaving the table area.