User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there everyone,

I have been using Frontpage to design web sites and know that online-forms can be created using Frontpage, but the host must have Frontpage Server Extensions installed...

...I was wondering if the online forms were simply CGI scripts??

If so, could i not get DreamWeaver Ultra Dev and write the CGI scripts in there? - I think DreamWeaver is capable of this?

Therefore, if a server supported CGI scripts and i had to pay extra for FRONTPAGE EXT. then i could bypass this problem by using CGI scripts...

...does this make sense? If not, why not?

I hope someone can shed some light on this area of online forms, thanks,

internationally.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by internationally
    I have been using Frontpage to design web sites and know that online-forms can be created using Frontpage, but the host must have Frontpage Server Extensions installed...

...I was wondering if the online forms were simply CGI scripts??
    To some extent they are... It depends on how you look at it. The forms themselves are simple HTML elements, which you can create using any HTML authoring software, and which don't require any special support from your host. Where the complication arises is in the processing of the information that is submitted using the form. This can be a CGI program launched by the Web server software to process the request, a server-side script written in PHP or ASP, or even a Java Servlet if your host is equipped with a servlet engine.

What it comes down to is that there are many options for processing forms, and thus there are many options for environments in which to develop them.

If so, could i not get DreamWeaver Ultra Dev and write the CGI scripts in there? - I think DreamWeaver is capable of this?
    DreamWeaver UltraDev allows you to develop server-side form processing scripts in ASP, JSP, and Cold Fusion. The focus of this tool is on database-driven site design, however. Buying UltraDev just to process form input can be overkill. What do you want your forms to do?

Therefore, if a server supported CGI scripts and i had to pay extra for FRONTPAGE EXT. then i could bypass this problem by using CGI scripts...
    Absolutely. In fact, many common scripts are available for free on the Internet; and all you need to use them is a text editor to modify a settings file before uploading them to your server.

For a broader overview of your options, check out my article: Advanced Web Design: A Primer
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference