SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discussion thread for Build PHP Applications With Macromedia Dreamweaver MX

This is a dedicated thread for discussing the SitePoint article 'Build PHP Applications With Macromedia Dreamweaver MX'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that Dreamweaver MX 2004 is out, can you comment on whether PHP support is better or whether any of the steps you go through change with the new version? I do have a copy of DWMX2004 and I know that the Properties and Insert panels have changed in appearance and to some degree functionality. Also, the Answers panel does not exist anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I think it's a little late for this article. It should have been over MX 2k4.

Anonymous
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Agreed, Dreamweaver great (RAD) but what about php and security with Dreamweaver ?
    also what if we want to expand the application with some programming methods doesnt exsist in Dreamweaver?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MX2k4 has the addition of user authentication behaviors, more modern PHP code style (ie $_POST[''] instead of $HTTP_POST_VARS['']) and a built in PHP reference.

-Matt

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the article title could have been in bolder print. Then nobody who wanted to read about 2004 would have been disapointed 'cuz they would have skipped it.

I thought the article was fantastic! It was the most lucid, comprehensive yet concise piece of writing I've seen to date that covers the MX/PHP deal. Looks like I'm in the minority but I say *excellent* article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent!!!

Anonymous
    Good article on a topic that's difficult to keep concise. Personally, I don't think Dreamweaver MX is up to the task as a click-n-drag application developer. Real-world applications deal with table joins, multiple queries per page, session management, form variable validation, etc. and unless I'm much mistaken, hand-coding is still essential. But it's an interesting direction and I'll be keeping my eye out for how MX 2004, 2005,... develop.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I don't think Dreamweaver MX is up to the task as a click-n-drag application developer. Real-world applications deal with table joins, multiple queries per page, session management, form variable validation, etc. and unless I'm much mistaken, hand-coding is still essential. But it's an interesting direction and I'll be keeping my eye out for how MX 2004, 2005,... develop.
    AFAIK, no one writing about this or previous versions' support of PHP has said anything about the use of class libraries in Dreamweaver. One suspects that support of any sort of OOP comes only through the use of third-party plug-ins such as those from Interakt. So, for anyone programming in this style, maybe MX or MX2004 is only worth getting for its support of CSS and CSS2.

Does anyone know better?

Anonymous
    very informative

Anonymous
    super - genious

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty nicely explained, and all above stands for examining the possibilites of Dreamweaver MX's cohesion functions with PHP. And the things written in the article are true for easily building a small, simple dynamic website with few tables and simple queries - with not much programming skills needed. BUT using these MX features disable utilizing more advanced conventions like PEAR, Smarty etc., and after a while one should definitely come to the boundaries of MX where built in functions are simply not enough and need more - and then runs into bunch of generated code which is difficult to modify.
    I myself use MX for website development, but I wouldn't recommend these built-in functions explained to use for more complex website.
    On the other hand, MX has some really excellent features which suite for all programmers, like it's site management, and separated code/design editor.

Stian
    Hi. I am a new user to PHP, and for that sakes HTML. I think this is nicely done, perhaps the best website I have found for PHP/MySQL on Dreamweaver. However there is one thing I have not understood (probably only to do with me, sorry) How to link things in PHP.

If I have a table, and displaying information on the front page of the site. And I want a link, connecting to the rest of the article. probalby the same way this is site is written. go to next and so on, without coding manually each page. how do I tell dreamweaver how to do this???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, I knew most of the things mentioned in the article, but anyhow, quite good and well explained. Good work!
    If pigs could fly, the prize of bacon would reach the sky.

www.dosspirit.net - Norwegian
    reviews of DOS games

Jan Douma
    A good start with php in Dreamweaver mx. I am totaly new to php and want to use Dreamweaver mx only for configuring a oscommerce shop.
    The idea is the make the desired homepage in dreamweaver as a dynamic page and send it to the server IF this is possible? And i asking myself whatis the value of this tutorial for me comparing with the making of the homepage?
    thanks
    Jan Douma

Prasanth
    site point very helpful to me
    thanks a lot. I will ever be your visiter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, nice and simple, now i want more...

COSC Student
    Thank you so much, far and away the most helpful tutorial on the subject I could find. Keep up the good work!

faiz muhammad
    i want the php book by using wizard application of dreamweaver.