SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

should i use my name or make up a name for my business?

I've changed names of my freelance multimedia design business a couple times (first mistake, i know)...but i get tired of the names quick...so I'm debating on just going by my name...anybody got any input?

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are proponents for both sides: People Names vs. Descriptive or Corporate Names.

Some of the biggest names (pun intended) in many service industries use people's (founders) names: Deloitte & Touche, Merril Lynch, Arthur Anderson (bad example ), Fulbright & Jaworski, etc.
    You'll find many such examples.
    Aside from just naming your company after yourself you can put a spin on the name, such as:
    John Doe & Associates
    or Doe & Associates
    John Doe Consulting
    or Doe Consulting
    The Doe Group
    etc.

Alot will also depend on how your name sounds, what it projects, how easy is it to spell, etc.

My last name is Poirier, and while I like my last name I probably would never use it in the company name because of it's complexity of spelling and pronounciation.
    (My wife's maiden name, which she kept, is Uebelhart - that one's even harder!)
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelsun
    Arthur Anderson (bad example )
    Off Topic:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Brian...just to get an opinion...do you think my last name "Pigford" would be to hard? It occasionally get's misspelled...but it's not hard to pronounce (pig...ford)....

SitePoint Enthusiast EightManagement's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try not to go the Name & name route because then people will write you off as a law firm. You're in an "artsy" industry, you've got to be creative. Try something edgy. As an accountant, we're not afforded that luxury. People expect their accounting firms boring and their design firms outlandish.

Try Josh's World Productions. Or the Joshua Project. I don't know, I'm not very creative, sorry.

Joshua

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about "J Pigford Media"?

Just a suggestion...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually ended up going with Automatik Studios...thanks anyways!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple names work very well for company names.

hillmancurtis, inc. is the company founded by Hillman Curtis - he works with clients like MTV, FOX, Rolling Stone, AOL, Apple, Adobe, etc.

I plan on incorporating my name very soon.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The web designer for my page goes by Kelli Shaver Design, and it works out very well for her. My company, however, is called Section8 Networks.

Names don't matter too much as long as 1. it sounds good 2. it's something you like and 3. you can get a good domain for it.
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Brian mentioned, complexity of spelling and pronunciation is an issue.

However, it's an issue with all company names - not just names based on people's names.

Using a common english word, and mis-spelling it deliberately (automatik), in my opinion, is not a good move.

In addition, "automatik" sounds German. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's a German word (not to mention other languages). If an American company was called "automatik", I might assume they had something to do with a European country.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Names matter

Quote Originally Posted by Bleys
    My company, however, is called Section8 Networks.
    Actually, Section 8 is a United States federal program of housing and financial assistance to low-income and/or poverty-level families. Anyone who owns rental property, has done business with federal or state governments, lives in or near a Section 8 housing/apartment development, or knows someone who lives in any of the 4 million plus Section 8 housing/apartment dwellings within the U.S. will immediately associate your company name with the federal Section 8 program.

Are you sure that's the brand you want to present?

Names don't matter too much as long as 1. it sounds good 2. it's something you like and 3. you can get a good domain for it. [img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    Yup. That's what Chevrolet thought when they named their car Nova... Then they scratched their heads wondering why the car just would not sell in any Spanish-speaking market. Too late someone clued them in that "va" is Spanish for "go", so they had named their muscle sedan "No Go."

Names are the most important thing about your business. I've been in the business of brand development and marketing for over a decade. While the Chevy Nova is the most infamous example of short-sighted and naive branding, it's not the only one.

Your name says everything about you when you aren't there to speak for it. Think about what your company name could mean to your audience, not to you.

Regards,

Pariah
    http://www.iampariah.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Section 8 is also the old military term for a Mental Discharge from the services.
    Brian Poirier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Section 8 is also the old military term for a Mental Discharge from the services.
    Yes! I had forgotten about that one. It later changed to 4F, which was in turn dropped.

By the way, re: your signature: Your link to be the first to get Photoshop CS leads to some obscure site about "pimps" and "ho's". I admit I didn't go too far into the site, but then, I already have Photoshop CS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, yes, we know what Section 8 means. In fact, one of the founding members applied for Section 8 housing 2 years ago... so it's close to our hearts.

We named the company for the military discharge (which I first learned of reading "A Separate Peace" in high school). Mostly because we'll just a little nuts. We're not trying to offend anyone, and so far, we haven't had any complaints. *shrug*

You're Nova example... well, I think that would fall under #2. Naming a car "No go" doesn't sound very good. Further, that might not have been the total reason the cars weren't selling in Spanish markets. I read recently that GM renamed the Buick "Lacrosse" in Canada because that is slang for masturbation (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3208501.stm) ... but, uh, they still have a car named "Hummer" and it does quite well.

What's in a name... a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Names don't matter that much as long as people can remember them, they aren't offensive, and oh, the most important thing, you have a good product. It's also helpful if they're easy to relate to your product.
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but, uh, they still have a car named "Hummer" and it does quite well.
    I was in the Army when we first got the Humvees (as they were officially called). It didn't take long to start calling them Hummers, but it was frowned upon by the general staff (i.e. the desk jockeys and high rankers) and even the manufacturer asked that they not be called that.
    However it stuck.

Never underestimate the power of a grunt.
    (there are puns on so many levels in that one statement, it's scary)
    Brian Poirier

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never underestimate the power of a grunt.
    (there are puns on so many levels in that one statement, it's scary)
    LOL! :P
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.