User Tag List

Thread: HTML Emails

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTML Emails

I have a web site that sends out a confirmation email (in HTML) when someone purchases an item from there. However I realized afterwars (I know, I know) that not everyone can see the html confirmation. These pages are programmed in ASP. I don't want to have the users try to select html or text (most of them won't know what it means anyway) so I would like to embed both the text and html version into the same email. So here is the problem:

When I view the email with an html capable email program I see the html version as well as the text version (text version is in a mess). How do I make it so that the html version will only read the HTML version and not the text version and vice versa?

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know, there really is no way to "detect" whether or not someone uses an HTML e-mail client or not.

I would just try to put it in as simple "non-computer-smart" user terms as possible. Something like "Colorful version with pictures" (HTML) or "No Pictures or Color". And tell them to choose the plain text (colorless & pictureless) version if they're not sure.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think email software can detect the difference between text and HTML, so of course it'll process (and display) both versions.
    HostVoice.net - When Hosts Compete, You Win
    Looking for a web host? Let them compete for your business.
    Submit a free request and receive offers within 15 minutes
    from qualifying hosts - Personal, business, NT, dedicated!

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to make Multipart/Alternative emails. The .NET HTML mail component does send multipart, but I am not sure about the ASP.OLD CDO object.

Best plan is to buy a real mail object.

WWB