SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading the SitePoint review of FrontPage 2000 and it said:

"FP2000 finally allows the ability to take database queries and incorporate them into a FrontPage web site. The data becomes dynamic and is returned directly from a database each time the page is loaded.
    The program even allows you to easily modify or create a database by creating a form which then sends the results to any ODBC compliant database.
    You can even make a Microsoft Access database editable via any web browser that supports data binding. Note that the database features will only work if your server supports Active Server Pages (ASP)."

Does that mean that I can set it up to call on or edit an Access or Excel database without going through all of the Cold Fusion, PHP, mySQL scripting stuff and worrying about whether those things are installed on my host's server?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The FrontPage webbots and server extensions will provide some of the functionallity of the ODBC connection and ASP.

I have always been a fan and user of FrontPage, but database applications is where I draw the line. They can be trickey at best and do not allow for much control over what your doing because of the limited wizards and dialogue boxes. Furthermore, you will still need to create and modify a database with some type RDBMS and that can be half the battle.

Here is a link if you want to learn more. There is addtional resources at MSDN.

http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/20...FPDBResult.htm
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using only FrontPage for the database, can you even use logic like IF an inventory number comes back as zero, display "Not in Stock"?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope grant, I don't think FP has any wizard for creating conditional qualifiers.

And I also agree with Westmich.

I've used FP's DB wizards before. Never to any great success, I always had to go back and edit the problems it made.

Access itself has built in wizards that allow you to export queries as ASP pages. These work a little better but you won't be able to do the things you want, ie conditional qualifiers and all that, using this method.

I suggest just waiting to see the rest of my Cold Fusion article, its not hardly as complicated as it looks. A database query is as simple as this:

<CFQUERY DATASOURCE = "Databasename" NAME = "Query1">
    Select Field1, Field2
    From Table
    Where Field1 like 'George'
    </CFQUERY>

Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I will go with Cold Fusion and Access, and I would love to learn it through your article, but I want to get started now. Isn't your article going up at the rate of one section per week? Can you suggest a book for me to read on the subject? I am considering "Mastering Cold Fusion 4.5". Thanks!