SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shut it down or build it up?

Well, I built this shop over a year ago, we get about 2 orders a week through it, and im getting ready to either do somthing (what i dont know) to make it take off or jack it in because the market it too competative.

If any SEO guys out there want to team up with me to take care of the online promotion side, drop me a line!

http://www.adult-sex-shop-uk.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm...

One thing. For the content, that is one of the classier sites that I have seen.

What kind of advertising do you do for the site? Search engine placement could be worked on. When searching for the keywords in your domain name, your site doesn't even show up in the first page of the google.com website.

Another option would be to branch out and ship on a more global basis. You could offer free shipping to those in the UK (as you do now) and subsidized shipping to other countries.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your speedy response,
    We have done little to no advertising at all, we put up adverts on google and got some sales but it wasnt cost effective.

We have tried to get on the first page of google but we just dont know how, we have added content, used search terms, started link building and cross linking but we just dont seem to be getting anywhere. It might be just too competative??

We have loads of stock but no one to sell it to! What do you think I should do?

Do you think any SEO guys would help out for a cut or a share?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Williamchill with both your ads and your search engine listings are you targeting a specific enough keyword? The niche market you are entering into is certainly competitive but not nearly so as it's parent industry, the adult market. Perhaps you should try focusing on some small pay per click engines with very targeted terms (like the name of your site, a product name, etc...). Odds are you can get some good buys at $0.05 (the common minimum buy). You may also want to think about running a small affiliate program or ad campaign with a few good adult sites. There are of course tens of thousands of such sites and most can't make a dime off advertising without totally butchering their pages. The holiday season is coming up, take another plunge and spend a few bucks getting your name out there in a more targeted fashion, who knows, maybe you’ll sell everything off?!.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with W Luke - very nicely built. Your URL & title pretty much suggests the UK. This might be limiting your clientelle.

Try suggesting world-wide maybe. And maybe advertise on some sites. I understand that you might not want to be associated with those types of sites - but remember, that is where a lot of your customers are coming from.

Or maybe find a business partner in the US that will help you get started here so you can hit both sides of the world

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried offline promotion?

Try getting out and being seen in industry specific events etc, or going to your local railway station, nightclub or pub and handing out business cards or custom printed condoms, if you have a good looking girlfriend try getting her to give a hand.

I reckon that if a nice looking girl handed me a business card or a condom with the URL of an adult goods store on it, I'd just have to take a peek!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Corey Bryant...find someone in North America to help you expand your market. If another website is selling products from the same supplier, maybe you can arrange for drop-shipping or an affiliate program that refers non-UK customers to another site...

My two cents...

James
    -----
    james