SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking for a way to boost my traffic. All the basic things, you name it, I've done them. One of the things I haven't done is bidded in a pay-per-click search engine like GoTo and banner advertising. I don't have a huge budget, so I can't spend very much. I would appreciate it if any of you could recommend some ways to boost traffic.

For GoTo, which I am strongly considering using, I have some questions.
    • Can I control the amount of money I spend? I don't want to bid a certain amount for a keyword and then getting thousands of clicks and end up breaking the bank.
    • Which should I use? The $99 Express one or the manual one?

Thanks!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using Goto for about a month know and it is the best traffic builder I have used to date.

I bidded on approx 400 keywords at no more than $.03, although averaging just under $.02.

In response to your questions: you only pay if you have the money in your account. You first sign-up, then deposit whatever amount of $$$, then you bid. If you run out of money they then put your account on hold until you replenish your account.

I would recommend you do not go with the $99 business express plan, unless you do not know what keywords you wish to bid on. The whole point of that business express plan is to help the novice at bidding.

I started my account with $100, but you can start for as little as $25. I would recommend starting at $100 or so however, as it will run out fast!!

I was spending about $4.00 per day on bids, so I lowered my bids and rewrote my descriptions. Now I spend around $3.00 per day and receive way more traffic.

I would highly recommend you spend some quality time and write a title and description that acuratly describes your site, but is appealing and CLICK-ABLE.

Hope this helps.
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the helpful pointers.

In response to your questions: you only pay if you have the money in your account. You first sign-up, then deposit whatever amount of $$$, then you bid. If you run out of money they then put your account on hold until you replenish your account.
    Question: When the money you desposit runs out, are you required to pay more or can you opt to end your campaign?

I am still unsure about the Express or normal programs because I really don't know if I have good keywords/descriptions or not. Go to my site and view the source and look at the meta tags. Are those any good, or should I pay the extra bucks and go with the Express account?

Just to clarify, the Express account's $99 fee is on top of the bidding costs?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the money you deposit runs out you can either redeposit more or choose to end your campaign. You do not have to tell them you just don't add more money. I think they keep your current listings on hold for a month or something. When they are on hold they do not appear, but they are still in your account so you do not have to re-enter all the info.

With regards to the business express, here is a quote from their site: "20 relevant search terms, Professionally written search listings and $50 worth of clicks (up to 5,000 targeted visitors)".

This means you pay $99 and you get $50 deposited into your account and for the other $49 you get 20 relevant search terms and a professional search listing.

Personally I would not go for it, but I don't know anyone that has. It all depends on how good the search listing is written.

I think your description is all right, it is not great, but not bad. Personally I probaly would not click on it if I saw it at goto, but maybe others would.

I would recommend you ask a few others to help you write a good description. I got some help here and my hits are flying. Today I spent $10 at goto and my average cost is only like $.019 cents. That is alot of hits from Goto.

Hope this helps!!
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, will do. Thanks!

Anyone else care to share their thoughts about GoTo?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it depends on what you are trying to promote with goto.com We tried to promote our webhosting business and burned through 50.00 in 2 hours. 1.78 A CLICK, got one signup out of 50.00 only to find out the card was stolen and we had to refund the card and cancel the account.

It was a total waste of 50 bucks for us and we wont do it again.

It again all depends on what your trying to promote, if your looking to promote something obscure then it would probably suit you but if your intending on promoting something with high priced keywords, like webhosting at 1.78, then there are better ways to spend your money, for example 35.00 per 1,000 impressions on someone like ispcheck or some other webhosting listing site or some other banner ads that can be started for like 350.00 minimum for 10,000 impressions.

Just my two jelleybeans.
    Brainbox
    Large enough to host you - Small enough to care
    http://www.HostingBeacon.com
    email support@hostingbeacon.com

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You spent 1.78 per click I woudl not spend more than 10 cents per click, not only will your money be balanced over a long amount of time, but your also spending lots less per user.