SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

print css and js

I have a menu on my page which is placed using absolute positioning via a linked .js file. The menu has a variable which allows me to give it an ID so the div is placed on the page exactly where I want it on the page.
    My problem is I don't want to display this menu when the page is printed. If I use display: none; on this div it has no effect as all it is there to do is specify a position not rendering. So is there a way to disable an external .js file via css for print?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, not disable the js via css, but you could add this to your style sheet:
    Code:
    @media print
    {
      #id_for_your_div
      {
        display: none;
      }
    }

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Or create a totally different stylesheet for print and format that however you want. I do that on my site and it works pretty nicely; no menus displayed makes it easier to read and gives the content more room on the page .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Or create a totally different stylesheet for print and format that however you want. ...
    Is that really a good idea?
    Doesn't, for example, IE 5.5 have some problem understanding media=screen, media=print etc? The result is (in IE 5.5) that your page (the screen version) get the print style (menus invisible! ). If you use code like the "@media print" example above, inside your main css file, the screen version looks OK in IE 5.5 too.
    I don't know if my description of the problem is correct (or if it's comprehendible at all...), just know that two separate css files didn't work for IE 5.5, while one single css file, and "@media print", did work.

(And thank you, redux, for the "print css inside general css" idea! )

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I knew I'd have problems explaining this one!

I get what you're saying guys but if I remove that div altogether the menu is still displayed cause by default the js writes it to the top left of the screen, all the div does is position it using an id which a variable in the js itself creates.

I really need a solution which says, ok, this person wants to print the page, ignore the javascript completely!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...or find the ID created by the javascript?