SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Floating left menu with vB forum content to the right - looks bad in IE 5.0

I have spent hours trying to figure out how to fix this problem, but I cannot come up with a solution. If you have a look at:

http://www.turcic.com/forums/

you see that I have a floating layout where the navigator bar is to the left and the vBulletin forum content to the right of it.

I successfully tested this Layout with Opera 7, Firebird 0.6 and Internet Explorer 6.0.

With Internet Explorer 5.0, however, the forum content is strangely put "downwards" and requires to the user to scroll to the right side. Maybe it has to do with the width:auto property used for the forum that IE 5.0 doesn't interpret correctly!?

I'd be happy if anyone could come up with a solution to my problem.

Regards,
    Alex

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats because ie5 doesnt handle css that well. it only supports css1 which limits a lot of what it can interpret. dont fret over it too much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paki
    thats because ie5 doesnt handle css that well. it only supports css1 which limits a lot of what it can interpret. dont fret over it too much
    I also noticed that there is something wrong with the main screen layout when using Safari/Mac. I attached a pic to this post (also accessible at http://www.turcic.com/446725.jpg )

Would be really happy if someone could tell me what I did wrong here!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I fixed it! I had the float property in the wrong class. What surprises me is that Safari was the only of the tested browsers which correctly interpreted my wrong style sheet.