SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How Do You Create A Draft Directory For Clients?

Hi,

This may be a silly question but I'm pretty new to all of this so please bear with me. I completed my very first site a few weeks back. I've been reassessing my whole process of developing and designing a site, and how I could possibly make things run a little more efficiently the next time around.

The last client I was dealing with needed several page revisions, and I always had to schedule lunch meetings with him so that he could view the site on my notebook. Needless to say, it was very time consuming! I once read that a designer created a draft directory where he uploaded the uncompleted site, and his clients were able to access it and view the various stages of the site's development without always having to schedule meetings.

Could someone please explain to me how this is done? I do have my own site that is in the process of being constructed. (It explains the services I offer,etc.).
    I'm just confused about how to create a separate area so that clients can view the stages of their site. All I can imagine is a link taking them to another page but if that's the case, then anybody could access it. Unless there's a way to make it password protected? As you can see, I'm really uncertain about this. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I create a subdomain usually, if the site is going to be complex. If it's a simple site I just create a directory, like http://www.example.com/clients/clientname/ (replace clientname with whatever you want). I then password protect the subdomain or directories as needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick response vgarcia. Ok, I think I have a better idea of how to go about doing this. So, for a simple site I would just create a sub directory like I would normally do when I create a site. (I usually create a root folder with separate folders for images, content, etc). I would just have to add a new folder for clients, right? One question - how do you create a password protected sub-directory?

As far as a sub domain goes, is that something I would have to request from my hosting company? Thanks...

J.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you use a control panel, check to see if you can create subdomains there. but either way, you don't really need subdomains.

in your ftp, just create another directory under your root so now to access it with a browser, you use http://yourdomain.com/newdirectory

this way, you won't need to create subdomains. just upload your draft site there and give that URL to your client to view. if the folder is discreet enough, then you won't need to password-protect it. I don't think people can randomly guess a folder right.
    HostVoice.net - When Hosts Compete, You Win
    Looking for a web host? Let them compete for your business.
    Submit a free request and receive offers within 15 minutes
    from qualifying hosts - Personal, business, NT, dedicated!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdidasROXX
    if you use a control panel, check to see if you can create subdomains there. but either way, you don't really need subdomains.

in your ftp, just create another directory under your root so now to access it with a browser, you use http://yourdomain.com/newdirectory

this way, you won't need to create subdomains. just upload your draft site there and give that URL to your client to view. if the folder is discreet enough, then you won't need to password-protect it. I don't think people can randomly guess a folder right.
    I use subdomains in the case of more complex sites in case there's anything I need to do requiring a root (i.e. using mod_rewrite for search-engine-friendly URLs). For a simpler site, yeah, I'll just usually create a subdirectory under my domain and password protect it. Only 2 people get the password; the client and myself (and sometimes not even the client until it's ready for viewing).

The knight who said ni! RockyShark's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't usually password protect sites under construction, either. If it were something sensitive I might, but who's going to visit your site and randomly try to guess possible subdirectories?

A 'cheat' way to do it is find out from your host what order default files come in. For example, of their first default file is index.html, but they also allow index.htm, then upload an index.html file that says not much more than 'Under Construction', and make index.htm your home page name. The send your client the address www.yoursite.com/clientsite/index.htm - by specifying the actual page name they'll be able to get in and navigate, but anyone who just tries www.yoursite.com/clientsite will get basically a blank page.