SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I am looking for any feedback on freeware programs people have used for transforming a JPG to a GIF and back. I have used a few out there and am happy with the interphase and usability but the GIF graphic doesn't always come out to pretty

Also, I've used the JPEG Optimizer for scaling down my JPGs and it works pretty good. Anyone out there here of one for a GIF file?

ANY feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Have a great xmas ALL OF YOU!!!!!!
    Frank
    PLAY DISC GOLF!
    BEST DARN SPORT ON EARTH
    Professional Disc Golf Association

what a sport!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure on the need to move from one to the other and back. GIF are generally used for clipart and text, whereas, JPG are used for photographs. Also, JPG compress in image from its current state. Unless you're working with a master image (something saved as a photoshop for example), each time you save it, you will tend to lose quality and begin to notice artifacts within the image, because JPG are based on a percentage.

GIFs on the other hand tend to lose quailty and depth only on the intial save and it tends to be less severe depending on how much detail was in the original image. The great about GIFs is that they maintain quality after the intial save. If you saved an image as an 8-bit GIF with 128 colors and no dithering you could edit and resave in this format numerous times without losing quality.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com