User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Pocket pc sniffer Javascript

I would love to find out how to right a sniffer for a Pocket Pc.

somthign like

if pcket pc then
    blar blar blar

else
    blar blar blar

(excuse the lack of sintax)

Cheers Leon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) write, not right.
    2) something, not something.
    3) syntax, not sintax.

I hope that these were mistakes that you didn't know you were making, since it annoys me to think that somoene might expect us to help him without taking the time to read what they'd typed before submitting it.

So to get ontrack for answering your question:

What IS pocket pc ?

If it's a type of palm based operating system, then this might be doable quite easily
    If it's a type of browser, then so long as it reports itself properly, also easy.
    However if it's an application you want to test for installed on the client PC then that will involve testing the registry ( if it's Windows ), and is unpredictable, fallable, and a bad idea generally.

G
    ---=| If you're going to buy a pet - get a Shetland Giraffe |=---

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Leon, please don't cross-post. You asked the same question in Web Page Design.

I'll take mine raw silver trophy MikeFoster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a PocketPC but I do build CE platforms for our custom devices. Have a look at the following, but keep in mind that the user-agent string is set in the registry - so the user may change it. Especially on these devices, it's better to use object detection instead of browser detection.

Detecting Pocket Internet Explorer from Web Servers and Script

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay thanks for your help Koder.
    I'll stick up for my self now.

After some time trying to solve the problem my self I though I would ask for help form the "nice people" on sitepoint Forums. I posted a quick notice, be for going home to spend "some time" with my wife and child. I could have spent that extra time running my post through a spellchecker - but you did understand what I was saying right.

Lastly not all of us have a brilliant grasp of this clumsy English langue, I have struggled with is most of my life and have come to the realisation that it makes me no lesser of a person. But thank you for taking the time to condescend to my level and correct my insignificant mistakes.

sincere apologies for cross posting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not only worth re-reading your post to check for spelling but also for sense. Someones what comes out from our minds straight away seems to make sense when we write it, but not when we re-read it.

I wasn't trying to have a go, however, and I'm sorry if you were too offended... You shouldn't be. I make mistakes all the time, if nobody corrected them then I'd never learn. Or at least that's the way I look at it.

Now: Was your problem entirely solved by MikeFoster's link or is there more you need here?

G

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Flawless koder MikeFoster solved it, he usually dose he's great like that

sometimes I think that this "text post thing" lacks tone. You cant really perceive someone's approach or even body language - that's actually something I depend on, it helps to gage where they are coming from, especially since I am auditory and visual orientated, and have very little comprehension of Iconography like language. Your point was valided - but please be aware - that other people's talents lay elsewhere. We are not all Flawless_koder's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odd. I got both messages you posted, I guess the second was an edit. Definitely appreciate the time put into the second draft. Anyway, glad it's all sorted then.

G

I'll take mine raw silver trophy MikeFoster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Flawless koder MikeFoster solved it, he usually dose he's great like that
    mike's head gets too big for him to walk through the door... (i hate it when that happens!)

sometimes I think that this "text post thing" lacks tone. You cant really perceive someone's approach or even body language ...
    You are right. As you said, we have to utilize "iconography-like language". Grammar, text formatting and the use of 'smileys' can convey much tone and intent - but it can be very subtle. We all have to work at being better text communicators. Cultural and language differences make it an even greater challenge.

When reading a post you do have to "read between the lines" - basically you have to guess at the poster's intention/tone based on their use of grammar, formatting, smileys, etc. But here's a tip I've found to work well for me: Always assume the poster has only good intentions and that their mood is light and slightly humorous. If you begin to suspect otherwise - simply ignore the post. It works for me!

I think it's extremely interesting to consider the great success of international text communication on the web. For me it proves that the best foreign policy is to simply let the citizens of the different nations become friends and make the high-paid politicians stay at home... oops, I'm about to get into politics... (bad mike! bad boy!)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good tip Mike - friendy leon now ;-)