SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'publicly visible' - that's making me wonder about something else. what about saving/downloading images of homes (interior and exterior pics) on real estate listing sites? like where they owner or their agent has posted the photos of homes for sale. is that considered 'publicly visible'?? (i'm obviously not talking about a photo site that sells images)

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful, you asked what the worse that could happen... they could sue you for lost damages of large sums of money. Probably much more than you could ever afford.

Your best bet is to fine royalty-free stock photography, usually about $50-100 and image or about $300-$500 for a collection. You don't have to worry about different licenses and are free to use the images in pretty much any use you like. Some examples are www.gettyone.com www.photodisc.com and www.ablestock.com.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelsun
    Also, in some cases you need a "Property Release". It'll depend on the area (location) you are in, but some places can require that a property release be needed for readily identifiable property if used for commercial purposes.
    can you provide any further details on this? does it mean you'd have to contact the owner of the home and get their permission to use a photo of their home say on a website or brochure? does it vary from state to state (US)?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone have any thoughts on saving/downloading images of homes (interior and exterior pics) posted on real estate listing sites? like where they owner or their agent has posted the photos of homes for sale. is that considered 'publicly visible'?? (i'm obviously not talking about a photo site that sells images)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to The Picture Archive Council of America's page on buildings/places that are known to require property releases: http://www.stockindustry.org/resourc...lReleases.html The best thing to do is, if you're in doubt, get the release.

As far as the question about downloading photos from real estate sites go, that screams no to me, unless they've said "feel free to use our photos for anything you like" and you have their specific permission AND the permission of the owners of the houses whose interiors are shown. Interiors of houses aren't public. Things you can see from the street are public... Not to mention, someone took those photos, so they're copyrighted by whomever that is.
    Royalty Free Stock Photos
    http://www.imageconnector.com/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as the question about downloading photos from real estate sites go, that screams no to me, unless they've said "feel free to use our photos for anything you like" and you have their specific permission AND the permission of the owners of the houses whose interiors are shown. Interiors of houses aren't public. Things you can see from the street are public... Not to mention, someone took those photos, so they're copyrighted by whomever that is.
    posting photos of homes (interior or exterior) on websites screams public to me since anyone with a computer/internet access can see them, but i don't know. just thought i'd ask.

thanks for the link!

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The link on property releases is good.

Just because a picture is on a web site does not mean that the public can use it. The picture is copyrighted by whoever took it, and if you "borrowed" it and displayed it without permission you could be sued for copyright infringment.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography