SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yet another NS4x question

Fogive me for inflicting another NS4x question on everyone. I have a table with the width set to 100% and with two cells; a left one fixed and with links and the other, fluid with my main content. I would like not to specify a width for the left cell and allow it to expand to fit the size of the links. However, in NS4x this cause the content to overflow the left cell. In addition, I find I have to add a single pixel image set to the correct width to prevent overflow. The problem in doing this way, is that the left cell is too wide for medium font size so that it won't overflow should the user increse the font size. The site is: www.thevoiceworkshop.comAny suggestions?
    Thanks
    Jerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Change DOCTYPE to Strict HTML 4.01, drop support for Njetscape 4 and focus on decent browsers like Mozilla and IE6.

Yes, I'm serious, why waste time on obsolete browser versions?
    And please don't add single pixel images to correct the width etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jofa
    Yes, I'm serious, why waste time on obsolete browser versions?
    I think that decision may be beyond his control.

SitePoint Enthusiast agentolivia's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry,
    I hope this gives you enough context to find where I'm talking about.

Delete
    Code:
    WIDTH="100%"
    from
    Code:
    <td class="main" WIDTH="100%" VALIGN="top">
    Here's the context...

Code:
    <td class="main" WIDTH="100%"  VALIGN="top">
    <h4>
    Welcome</h4>

<p>
    Thank you for visiting <b> 

<h4>Our Mission</h4>
    That should do it.

Amber

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    I think that decision may be beyond his control.
    Well, my rage against NS is beyond control too, today

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Amber I'll give it a try.
    I realize that it's probably not worth the effort to make it look good in NS4, but I enjoy the challenge.

Jerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

I still have to test everything in NS4. Last month alone we had 176,494 hits from Netscape 4.x. But it is a decreasing number...in Sept 2002 the number of Netscape 4.x hits was 414,482.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Amber,

Just to let you know that your suggestion worked. Thanks so very much for your help.

Jerry

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agentolivia
    Off Topic:

I still have to test everything in NS4. Last month alone we had 176,494 hits from Netscape 4.x. But it is a decreasing number...in Sept 2002 the number of Netscape 4.x hits was 414,482.
    Off Topic:

! Remember that hits != visits though; one "visitor" can generate a few hundred hits quickly, especially if you have an image or script-heavy site. We just dropped NS4 support at work after I showed my manager our stats. We had 170,000 visits from IE5/6 users, about 1,000 from Mozilla/NS6+ and Opera users, and 180 from Netscape 4 users (and many of those were probably Opera posing as NN4 ) this year. I also showed him ESPN.com in NN4 (go check it out yourself if you want ). Now all I have to do is make sure that the site is somewhat usable in NN4, not an exact copy of what a recent browser sees .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Remember that hits != visits though; one "visitor" can generate a few hundred hits quickly, especially if you have an image or script-heavy site. We just dropped NS4 support at work after I showed my manager our stats. We had 170,000 visits from IE5/6 users, about 1,000 from Mozilla/NS6+ and Opera users, and 180 from Netscape 4 users (and many of those were probably Opera posing as NN4 ) this year. I also showed him ESPN.com in NN4 (go check it out yourself if you want ). Now all I have to do is make sure that the site is somewhat usable in NN4, not an exact copy of what a recent browser sees .
    Off Topic:

Yeah, I know. I was going for dramatic effect. We still had over 5,000 visits last month, down from close to 14,000 in 2002.

Though Netscape users in general are a small percentage of our organization's user base, and Netscape 4.x users are half of that, until Spring of this year, our CEO still had Netscape 4.x running, and let me tell you it's lots of fun getting a call from the CEO asking why her browser keeps performing illegal operations.

Maybe in 6 months or so, Netscape 4.x stats will dwindle to next to nothing and I can stop having near heart-attacks every time I look at my pages in Netscape 4.