Thread: Books i bought

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Books i bought

Sams teach yourself php in 24 horurs, and php advanced for the worldwide web by larry ullman. Are these good books?

PHP manual bot bronze trophy Gaheris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't buy books about PHP.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own both of these books

Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 24 Hours is disappointing, and although it's cheap, I wouldn't recommend it.

Larry Ullman's book is very good, it's well-written, and it's a logical step up from the beginners' books. I would suggest you get this.

I also own a book called PHP and MySQL Web Development, published by Sams (ISBN: 0-672-31784-2), it's about 900 pages long, and all of the examples of code given in the book, you can go away and use them, because they are real-world, practical examples.

-Sam
    Sam Hastings

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't recommend 'Programming PHP' unless you are really, really new to programming in general and more so to PHP;

Though I've only just bough M Fowler's Patterns of Enterprise App. Arch. and I would recommend this book

Very valuable IMO Now I've only got to understand those damn patterns

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Livingston
    I wouldn't recommend 'Programming PHP' unless you are really, really new to programming in general and more so to PHP;

Though I've only just bough M Fowler's Patterns of Enterprise App. Arch. and I would recommend this book [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Very valuable IMO [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Now I've only got to understand those damn patterns [img]images/smilies/FRlol.gif[/img]
    I hesitated when Amazon had that on sale and I ended up missing it [img]images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]

If we're in the mood for recommending books, I bought Professional PHP4 XML a few months back, and it's a great resource for anyone wanting to do anything with XML and PHP. I only wish it could have had more information on web services using Soap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilware.net
    I also own a book called PHP and MySQL Web Development, published by Sams (ISBN: 0-672-31784-2), it's about 900 pages long, and all of the examples of code given in the book, you can go away and use them, because they are real-world, practical examples.
    I got that when I was learning PHP - pretty good book, though I reckon I learned more from Kevin's "Building a Database Driven Website Using PHP and MySQL" tutorial on Sitepoint (before it was put into Book-form).
    Regards, Ant.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame you missed out on the deal of the century Folks were banging on about this book for months and I felt like I was missing out - I was

About web services and SOAP though, have you looked at www.oreilly.com ? Have a look there as there is a lot of sample chapters you can download as PDF...

About Kevin's Book; I also started to learn PHP/mySQL via the 10 part article Kevin put on Site Point

Still got it on file somewhere; Printed a condensed version for myself as well Must still be a good article [or series of articles I should say] since I've seen myself go back to them now and again...