SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seedworks: ultralite frameworks.

Has anyone else run into a need this sounds like it could fill? Several times I've laced together several scripts to get the job done, or written the "glue" to hold several tasks together to give them the appearance of being one app. I started a new project a while back and thought, wouldn't it be nice to have a tool in the bag that already took care of the navigation treatments as well as the user controls -- then all I'd need to do is plug in the code for the events. Looking at some of the popular frameworks available for php -- it seems that you would spend more time learning to use them than the time using them would save.

Ran across a discussion and a phrase (seedworks) that seemed to capture the topic and was interested in some discussion on it, so thought I'd post this here.

Anyone else working on something like this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it seems that you would spend more time learning to use them than the time using them would save.
    never a truer word spoken [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I think most of us here eventually start creating our own reusable components and pseudo-frameworks.

If I have time on a project and it includes something potentially reusable I will often take the extra time to make it more generic (not too generic cos that often means comprising some of the good bits) and ready to use again should I need to.

Eventually I found I had enough bits and bobs that I could almost call my own framework of sorts , and it saves me hours perhaps days sometimes in creating administration forms & interfaces , mail & authorisation schemes etc.

I despair at the time it takes to really learn some framework of other only to end up each and every time modifying it to work the way I want it to work (be that a change for the better or otherwise)

I also get agitated at the thought of loading large class or function libraries just to say `hello world` , a reason I could never survive .NET & its ilk. (and why I extract PEAR dependencies from my fave PEAR stuff )

Many people like to use WYSISYG and or IDE's , I prefer (like many) to roll my own , at the end of the day I prefer flexibility over a speed (of development) difference , and when you have these 'seedworks' as it were its amazing how productive you can get, especially when what you want to do aint in the manual [img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

My 2c anyway

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to agree 100%