User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Site Traffic

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I launched my site in late August. Toward the end of October I started tracking my traffic -- namely unique visitors. It's sad to say, but my traffic is pathetic!!! What kind of daily visitor numbers would you guys consider "relatively decent"? What have you done to increase traffic to your site? Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Joanne Glasspoole
    www.glasspoole.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI, maybe if you want to help me on my next project, which will be raising money for schools and non-profits it might help your site. I will do write ups on you in my daily ezine.
    Feel free to email me, it is in my profile.
    merle
    Merle
    www.recipes4learning.com
    Free Recipes 4 Everything!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really know what I would call decent traffic. At the moment I am only receiving 1000 impressions daily and 200-250 uniques. That is not even close to what I want.
    I earn like $.75 and spend $2.00 to get that.

For myself once I get to 5000 uniques I will be happy, at least for a day

It does get easier though. Once you start to build up traffic, your repeat traffic will start to return and your traffic will increase.

For my site since I started advertising 4 days ago I only receive 5 or so return visitors daily, however as time goes by I excpect my main traffic will be from return visitors.

Anybody have any answers to what they think is good traffic.
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what types of visitors you're getting. Granted you need to get many visitors to gleen a sale. OTOH it can be better to have a small number of serious visitors than large numbers of casual visitors.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with jaiem; however, how do you get the visitors in the first place?
    Joanne Glasspoole
    www.glasspoole.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 words: Promote, promote, and promote.

Seriously, there are no magic bullets. Try the search engines and any specialized directories, RFQ sites, link exchanges, ads and sponsorships, cold calls, etc. etc.

A little here, a little there, and it all adds up. But it does take time. Be wary of people who say "I launched my site last month and am only getting N-thousands of hits a day/week. How can I improve that?" True, it depends on the type of site but in general even the best take time to build traffic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I could use the stat for whole ad-rotator's members, it's a pretty good number!
    Anyway, I agree with the argument about number of visitors vs. number of sales and I prefer the latter (pay per lead and commission could earn you much better than CPM/CPC!)
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

It is very dificult task to achieve fine trafic. Extra trouble is that we are from Yugoslavia, and we can not pay any services (serious advertising etc.) becose we do not have a way to do that .

So I suggest to you pay per click advertising. It is very cheap and secure way of advertising. Use it. Hope you can .

All The Best,
    Kanazir Predrag
    kanazirp@2net.co.yu
    http://www.bizwhat.com
    BizWhat - Are You eMaking Money?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

there was one thread a few months ago where everyone listed their traffic a few months ago.......and i was surprised to see that with 40,000 pageviews a month i was above average compared to most.

Just last week i started breaking the 2,000 pageviews a day barrier, and am very excited about it.

I don't really think any of us can say that there is a "decent" amount of traffic, because once we get what we consider to be "decent" we want more

I launched my site in June, and in August I got into Yahoo. This instantly increased my pageviews by about 900 a day. Its well worth it to work your butt off to get into Yahoo.

One little tip that I can give you is to submit to Yahoo Canada. This is what I did, and I was in within a week. Someone also mentioned getting return visitors. Also try other search engines, banner exchanges, reciprocal linking, etc. Just promote

Jim
    http://www.freejavahelp.com
    Making Java REALLY Easy
    Tutorials, Forums, and Articles

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Decent traffic" is a self-defining term. It depends on what it is you want from the traffic. Are you looking only to inform people? Then any number of uniques a day is "decent."

Are you looking to affect the next local election in your town? Then "decent" would be over 50% of you local residents.

Want to build a forum or on-line community? You don't mainly want uniques, you want a combination of uniques and return visitors.

Private club? - "decent" will be a percentage of your club members and ONLY return visitors.

Are you looking for profit? Then I think webmasterlane.com hinted at the answer. As long as you are making a profit you numbers are "decent."

With a for-profit site it does not matter how much you spend to run the site as long as your proportional profits are at the level you want. i.e. even if you spend $1 million/month to run the site "decent traffic" could be 1 unique a month _if they spend $2 million on your site_.

Define for yourself what it is you want the traffic for. You are looking for _quality_ visits NOT NUMBERS! It does not matter if you receive 90k uniques a day if they never click through your ads, buy your products, read your articles you're trying to sway their opinion with, _fill-in-the-blank-of-what-you-want-them-to-do_...

Total Life Success - Don't give in. Succeed. (tm)

Total Life Success Forums - the Web's Leading
    Success Community™

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on the topic of the web site and how many people are interested in that topic.

If it is only a Web design, internet solutions site etc don't expect too much.

If it is a portal, or email site etc you will probably get a lot of traffic since the people have to log in each day to check on their account.

GoTo.com is a good place to advertise..and cheap.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I launched my site in September, and I had 56,000 pageviews last month. The problem I'm having is that traffic is VERY dependant on any new articles I publish. Some articles draw me 10-20,000 pageviews, but if I don't publish any articles for a week or so, traffic goes down to 3-400 pageviews per day. Competition in the computer cardware website market is very hard. The top 10 or 20 sites seem to have most of the traffic.

Any suggestions on how I could get more traffic? I've tried to form a community with a message board, but I only have 20 or so posts there yet. I'm trying to find people with enough computer knowledge to write articles for my site, to keep a more steady flow of articles, but none of the people I have asked have accepted.

Vidar Langberget
    Editor
    www.templeoftech.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Well, I'm glad to hear that articles help you. However, I have a different problem. At http://www.BizWHat.com we publish 5 articles per day (business days only), but still we do not get a desired trafic.

Kanazir Predrag
    kanazirp@2net.co.yu

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But do you promote your articles? I send out a lot of mails to related sites, for each article I publish. How successful an article is depends a lot on what sites you get your articles mentioned.

Vidar
    Vidar Langberget
    Editor
    www.templeoftech.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello hawker,

We do not publish our articles. We publish articles of respected authors conserning Internet business. We are doing the best we can with promotion, but since we are from Yugoslavia, we have many troubles promoting. Do you have any idea? Where do you promote your articles?

All the Best,
    <Edited by Kanazir P. on 12-07-2000 at 10:09 AM>
    Kanazir Predrag
    kanazirp@2net.co.yu

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that you are from Jugoslavia should not matter at all. I'm from Norway, but few of my visitors know that.

I send out an email to sites with related content, especially those that have news pages. I'm mostly do computer hardware articles, so the sites I send emails to are:

theregister.com
    anandtech.com
    JC-news.com
    Aceshardware.com
    etc.

Many sites have email adresses for news submissions.

I don't know if there are many sites with news in your category, but I imagine that there are at least some.

Btw, do you pay the authors of the articles, or do you have any other arrangement with the authors?

And you have some VERY stiff banner rates... You might consider lowering them...

Vidar
    Vidar Langberget
    Editor
    www.templeoftech.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not being critical of anyone here but I'm always a bit dubious when I read someone saying "I launched my site last month and I'm only get 20,000 hits a day/week" (or whatever). Granted much depends on the promotion, the subject of the site and how you define a "hit" but even still that sounds unusual. Traffic takes time to build. Even some of the most successful commercial sites didn't get heavy traffic over night.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean. When I read that line, I thought "how'd they achieve incredible traffic like that in one month?!!". I'd be happy to get 100 uniques a day!
    Joanne Glasspoole
    www.glasspoole.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have 5 graphics on a page, doesn't one page view equal 6 hits? One for the page and 5 for the graphics? I also find that googlebot and other SE spiders increase the traffic numbers on my site. If I take the robot.txt blocker off my site, at any given time my forum will have up to 10 visitors, all of which are google spidering my forum.

I think you have to work hard at building traffic. I provide free services such as a vBulletin forum and giveaways. I'm looking into free branded email. I submit my site to all of the relevant search engines and directories. I tell all of my friends about it.

I also post at forums all over the place with a link to my site in my signature. You can go to http://www.infopop.com and http://www.vbulletin.com to see names of other boards. You can also search for "ubb" and "vbulletin" in google to find other boards.

I've noticed that several people here do not have clickable URLs in their signatures. Read the vB help code page to learn how to make your link clickable. People are more inclined to visit your site if they can just click on a link.

The one thing I am laziest about is writing new content.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote:
    ============================================================

I know what you mean. When I read that line, I thought "how'd they achieve incredible traffic like that in one month?!!". I'd be happy to get 100 uniques a day
    ============================================================

Maybe the owner of the site had previous experience in running other sites, therefore getting high traffic within a short time is not shocking.

For me, I could get 200 uniques per day within a week of my launching, if I am running an entertainment related site, or freebie site. However, going up further would be a problem for me, since I don't pay for traffic.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello hawker,

Thank you very much for your advices. I will try to find such sites.

However, you did not understand me when I mentioned that I'm from Yugoslavia.

There is one big problem :we do not have any sort of credit card system here. Then, many potential partners do not want to negotiate with us as soon as they discover that we are from YU. We do not have ways to pay anything on the Internet. We have plans to move somewhere in EU, so I believe we will sort this out.

Well... I'm not the CEO on the site, so I can not adjust banner price. I undrstand what you mean.

All The Best,

Kanazir Predrag
    kanazirp@2net.co.yu

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jglasspoole and jaiem

Just to show you what I've told is true. This is a small part of a report from Live Stats:

Server Activity Totals for Period:
    Total sessions served : 25405
    Total hits made on server : 247473
    Total page view hits : 58334
    Total non page view hits : 189139
    Total time spent by all sessions : 3858490 minutes
    Total bandwidth : 3371360.82 kilobytes

And I have not spent one dime on advertising yet.
    Vidar Langberget
    Editor
    www.templeoftech.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hawker - Wasn't doubting you per se just speaking in general terms. I see lots of messages like that (the one I paraphrased above) and not all can be so.

BTW, great numbers. So if you aren't advertising how are people finding you? Search engines?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just send an email to related sites about new articles. This is very common in the computer hardware website scene.

regards,

Vidar
    Vidar Langberget
    Editor
    www.templeoftech.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello hawker,

I just wanted to inform you that I listened your advice, and reduced our banner add prices. I will contact you again if that action show us some results.

Best Wishes,

Kanazir Predrag
    kanazirp@2net.co.yu