SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Commercial vs. Non Commercial site

If the entire content of a site focuses on educating visitors about a particular subject and it sells no products or services, will the site be considered/become a commercial site if carries affiliate and google ads?

thanks
    ::: Digicamhelp
    Easiest place on the web to learn about Digit@l Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will consider it commercial, since the ads has been placed in order to gain commercial benefits.

However opinions might differ. It is just my point of view.

It will be interesting to see what others think.

Abhishek
    My Blog - Business strategy, Usability, India and Ideas
    Submit2Please.com - Manual directory /article submission

Design2Please.com - Hire a full time designer for $1100 /mo.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digicam
    If the entire content of a site focuses on educating visitors about a particular subject and it sells no products or services, will the site be considered/become a commercial site if carries affiliate and google ads?

thanks
    A commercial venue is per defnition for profit. If the ads will be used for getting the site owner profits, it is therefore commercial.

However, whether someone CONSIDERS a site commercial or not is all in the eye of the beholder.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

root
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people consider a site commercial if it's goal is to sell something. If it's just a content based site with ad support to keep the site up and running then it may not be commercial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jplamb
    A lot of people consider a site commercial if it's goal is to sell something. If it's just a content based site with ad support to keep the site up and running then it may not be commercial.
    Hmmm, this is an interesting take. I tend to agree, but will others as explained below?

I would like to put my digital camera site in my signature at a photography forum. The guidelines state:

"Warning: Anyone using this space to advertise their company, commercial website or equipment for sale will be banned."

I wrote to the site owner several weeks ago inquiring about this but never heard from him.

Also, I'd like to "suggest [my] site" to Yahoo! but they seem pretty adamant about commercial vs. non-comercial placement in their directory. I just don't know what to consider mine for placement.

I do consider myself a content-based, educational site and the ad support is to keep it up and running.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zeal and DMOZ consider sites with affiliate links & ads (like adsense) commercial sites and I assume Yahoo would be similar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you have advertising and receive money
    from it than your site is Commercial.

Non-Commercial site :
    no advertising spot, to keep the site running from operation costs,
    maybe just sponsor (like : free hosting) or a donation box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozgression
    Zeal and DMOZ consider sites with affiliate links & ads (like adsense) commercial sites

Does DMOZ make difference between commercial and not commecial sites? I know Yahoo and Zeal do, but i thought DMOZ doesn't...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is alot harder to get in if you have affiliate links on your site... not impossible, but alot harder.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commercial have the intent of making a profit, while non-commercial don't have that intent.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozgression
    Zeal and DMOZ consider sites with affiliate links & ads (like adsense) commercial sites and I assume Yahoo would be similar.
    From Zeal's site: "If the primary purpose of a site is to generate revenue or promote the sale of goods or services online or offline, then it is considered commercial."

It goes on to say that sites that make money from advertising are generally commercial, but some of their content pages might not be. Informational pages for non-commercial things (i.e., not product information) with a couple of banners might be considered non-commercial depending on the amount of information.

(http://www.zeal.com/guidelines/style...idelines.jhtml)

So it seems like it really depends on how you build your site, organize your content, and then how you go about submitting it to search search engines like Zeal or Yahoo... i.e., submit your content pages rather than your index page. *shrug* LookSmart is crashing and burning anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Zeal is still used by MSN and Inktomi for the moment...

As for the commercial/non-commercial debate, you are right in what you say but at the end of the day it does come down to the opinion of the Zeal/DMOZ editor who reviews you submission (rightly or wrongly).

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gentlement don't mix things up.

This web site for educating visitors on a particular subject with affiliate program and an ad is not a commercial site.
    -Because there is no commercial exchange-(paying money to assess) the site content.
    -Remember that the cost of the affiliate program and the ads are merely to cover the cost of running the web site.
    -Is just like a site with your cv, it cannot be described as a commercial site.
    -When you say commercial you are saying "business" and I will prefer you say not for profit.
    fash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fashola
    This web site for educating visitors on a particular subject with affiliate program and an ad is not a commercial site.

-When you say commercial you are saying "business" and I will prefer you say not for profit.
    So fashola, it is your opinion that my site is not commercial?

I don't think it is because I personally sell no goods or services. Of course, I realize there is a fine line with the affiliate ads.

thank you.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends, as ozgression and I said earlier, to whom who are trying to prove it is commercial or not-commercial.

Zeal might find that commercial, I personally might not. But in the grand scheme things, my opinion, or fashola's, matters a whole lot less than Zeal's.
    Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If one site is for profit, fun, or a genuine non profit if you have ads to relevant products that serve the interests of your visitor your visitors will not be offended by the ads. If you have a content site people will ask you where to buy certain things if you don't tell them. So why not help them out and earn a little in the process.

You can have relevant affiliate links without having ads shown clearly to make money such as untargeted banners and popunders.
    People don't generally think less of a site if a site reviews things objectively and links to places to buy them for example.
    OnlineSoldier.com

The webmaster's guide to the war which is the web. Analyze monetization, visitor retention, and promotion.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you make anything - anything at all - its commercial. The only questions is is it for or not for profit.

For anyone who thinks that a few ads or affiliate links mean that they are just trying to pay the website's way then think again. Every publication out there who is out to make a buck just puts up ads to pay the publication's way. The gamble is can it make a few extra bucks along the way.

Most publications are financial losers. Those that become successful suffer financial losses in the beginning. Besides - if your educational, information website starts to have a large following that is willing to hang on your every word and make purchases based on your recommendations - and if you're posting links to say amazon.com - are you going to turn down all the extra cash that you make beyond the cost of the website. THE PHYSICAL COST OF THE WEBSITE? Your time and energy can't be applied. It's a labor of love remember.

More importantly how can we the consumer judge the difference?

That's why if you list ads or affiliate program links on your website it is construed as commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by digicam

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent points! Thank you fosforito.

gail

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    non profit orgs sell things... that doesnt make them commercial.. commercial is only if you are using it to make money.

In my opinion, if you have ads, say they are to support the site, nothing else.