SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Apache or PWS?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking of setting up a server on my computer. I'd use it only to familiarize myself with PHP (and some MySQL as well). I wouldn't run websites off of it or anything, just practice off of it.

Should I use Apache or PWS? I've used both of them before (had some trouble with Apache), and I am not sure which one I should use now. Apache is undoubtedly superior, but PWS is really easy and seems to do everything I needed it to do. I've heard that PWS is pretty buggy, but when I used it (about a year ago) it didn't crash on me a single time.

I think that PWS can handle everything I need to do, but I am not sure if it is right for me. Suggestions?

<EDIT>I'm also open to other server programs, like Sambar</EDIT>
    <Edited by Aidan Bahta on 12-09-2000 at 08:13 PM>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    however you go about it, Apache is the better route , even on Windows unless you want to practice ASP as well.

Get the lot from (apache/mysql/PHP/phpMyAdmin) from http://www.firepages.com.au/phpdev.htm

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Recently I tried out various servers when I was trying to set up a personal server on my computer. I had used PWS for a while and then it suddenly stopped working and I never worked out the reason why.

The best server I found was Sambar as it was very easy to configure (from a web page interface) and I found it very easy to add the extensions to it that I needed (PHP, MySQL, Perl). I had no previos knowlege of servers before I set this up (well except for PWS) and got it and everything set up and running in about 1 or 2 hours. One thing that I also really like about Sambar ovr PWS is that you can set up user accounts for people. When I was having trouble with a PHP script I wrote I got a friend to FTP in and make any connections for me .

I really think that PWS would be fine for you as long as it stayed working but I found that PHP is a lot easier to install on Sambar plus it is a lot more powerfull. Apache is probably the choice you should make if you are looking for power but by the sounds of it yo are not and I also found Apache the hardest to configure due to no GUI (well I didn't find one anyway)

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with Apache as when you move to professional hosting Apache is what will most likely be used as the web server software - I know this won't come in helpful now but some hosts are now starting to give customers access to their httpd.conf or are toying with the idea so it would come in handy if you knew how to set it all up and what everything did. Besides that a bit of basic knowledge on how your webserver works can help you out in other areas in the long run e.g. When your webhost tells you something can't be done you know they mean we don't know how.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night I downloaded Apache and PHP seperately. I got Apache running very easily, but I couldn't get PHP and Apache to work together. This morning, I checked out the link that firepages posted, downloaded phpdev, and had everything running in less than a minute. It was really amazing.

Thanks firepages!

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you got it working. I had PWS on my desktop (never again) and Apache on my Linux box. I defintiely recommend going with Apache as PWS caused no end of trouble. I eventually ahd to reformat and reinstall and I can tell you I didn't install it again. My machine just seemed so much slower when it was running, I don't know why though!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An alternative that I really like is Sambar Server. Check out my post here for instructions. It may take a couple more steps to set up than the firepages package, but the administration interface is much better IMO, and you get an FTP server to boot!
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference