SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may seem like a dumb question but I am new to DW and maybe there are a number of elements contributing to the problem. I have just began designing web pages in Dreamweaver 3. When I preview the pages in MS Internet Explorer 5 everything is perfect but when I preview
    the pages in Netscape Navigator 4.7 all order goes out the window. You name it photos buttons end up in places they should'nt be. I know there may be a number of things Im doing wrong here but Im open to any tips or clues on how I can avoid this problem with Netscape in the future. Thanks a million all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, welcome to the SitePoint Forums, kronicalz. No question is a dumb question. It is a common trend that pages don't show up correctly in Netscape 4.7 - don't feel bad. IE is generally more forgiving with the code and thus is less picky. I am sure one of the resident Dreamweaver gurus can help you, just wanted to add my two cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kronicalz...

are you using Layers to lay out your page? If so, that would be a good reason why there might be problems. Netscape does not support Dreamweavers layers tags full since it uses stylesheets to display them.

If you must use the layers function, you would be best served to convert them to tables before you export.

File > Convert to Tables (I think)
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Creole,

Thanks for the tips I am using just layers, I then position them where I want and then insert the content into the layers. So I should just convert the layers to tables before I save my work? Thats great If I can get Netscape happy with my web pages I'll be a happy man!

Thanks a million Creole!

Originally posted by creole
    kronicalz...

are you using Layers to lay out your page? If so, that would be a good reason why there might be problems. Netscape does not support Dreamweavers layers tags full since it uses stylesheets to display them.

If you must use the layers function, you would be best served to convert them to tables before you export.

File > Convert to Tables (I think)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A freind of mine is doing the same thing: using layers for positioning then converting to tables. Beware though as sometimes the convert to tables feature does some unexplained things. Make sure you save a copy of your file (with layers) before you convert.

Having said that, I would heartily recommend learning HTML. Dreamweaver makes it easy as it writes the code for you while still allowing you to view and edit the same code. If you plan on getting into web deisgn as more than just a hobby, learning HTML is an essential skill.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes