SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb How do I start a subscription based website business?

Hi,

I was hoping to get some guidance about starting a subscription based website. I have an idea to start a website95{eted toward a specific group in my community - independent musicians. The idea is that I would create the individual websites for these people, (if they donít already have their own site). These sites would then be located under my umbrella site for a monthly or yearly fee. (sort of like IUMA)

Now obviously, for me to expect someone to pay a subscription, I must be able to offer them a service that no one else is providing in my area - exposing them to the right people - record companies, producers, club owners,etc. How would I even begin to start something like this? Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would guess that you would need to do a lot of market about this. That will involve quite a bit of advertising directly to your target (ie, independant musicians in your community), as well as getting expressions of interest before you launch. I'd guess it'd take a fair while, getting enough people subscribed for free, before you have enough people that you can start offering services to them and start charging them.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth BlogTwitterContact me
    Neon Javascript FrameworkJokesAndroid stuff

SitePoint Enthusiast Parse_error's Avatar
    Florida, great place to vacation but I live here.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about what you want to do, how you envision your site to be. Do you want to have just a web page development site where you build webby's for these people or, do you want to develop a community and promote interaction between musicians in your area.

Once you can visualize your site and know what services you can offer, talk to potential subscribers and see what kind of response you get (market research). Don't just talk to your friends, talk to your friends' friends. If the response is positive go ahead and build the site and develop a business plan as a guide to future goals.

Once you have the site built, you have to market (advertise) it. Since you are doing this for a local area, you can use guerilla marketing tactics to build a member base. Guerilla marketing is cost effective but can be alot of work. An example would be putting flyers at music stores and school campuses etc... do a google search for guerilla marketing, there are several books on the subject

If you are concerned about wether people will pay to join, offer 30 days free memberships. If it works out (and I hope it does for you) and you start getting payed, follow your business plan. If the site is successful, don't be suprised if local bars, music stores and maybe even radio stations want to advertise on it. you might be able to barter some free publicity this way.
    ~ Theres one in every crowd! ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for your very informative replies to my post. At least now I have a better idea on how to begin. Much appreciated!