SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

design originality dilemma - please give advice!

hey guys....

i originally used a template for my personal site a year or so ago when i first was getting into design.

i always wanted to design something new and fresh and most of all, my own. i finally came up with an awesome idea and started sketching it out. i had never seen anything like it and i was proud of where i was going with my ideas.

then today, by chance, i was helping a friend figure out his own domain name. we tried alot of sites, and alot of things were taken.

i actually went to a couple of the sites, and by chance, one of them had the EXACT idea on what i was going to make. except for the logo and content, the design is about 90% what i was going to do. its a commercial site for a freelance designer.

i kind of feel weird about proceeding with my project. i know i came up with the idea on my own, but then i never put it in action. this guy did. what should i do? i want to do the morally and ethically "right" thing here...

any advice would be great.

thanks,
    chuck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As long as it's not a direct copy, I don't see what's wrong. There are so many sites with similar designs it's not even funny. How many sites have you seen with the standard logo at the top, left navigation, right content, and footer? I can think of 30 or 40 sites like that easily off the top of my head. Make your design original enough to stand out on its own and don't worry about what others are doing .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks vg, thats the feelings i had too. theres stuff on the site that i didnt know how to do, so i wanted to learn in before i added it to real projects. i'll work on it some more and polish it up. maybe go a little different direction.

Off Topic:

I like your new site. I knew you were in orlando, but i didnt know you went to UCF. i graduated from FSU, but i got a job in maitland, and they are paying for my MBA, so im going to UCF now. i also thought you were older, i guess since you are an advisor or mentor on here...

i guess i'll PM you, i have some questions about some elective classes at UCF...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always scared about this when making sites for customers. - I think someones gonna come along and say its a stealed design.

Anyway, wanna post you design and the site, and we can then reassure you that you not doing anything wrong :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always refer them to Cameron Moll's article at http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1150
    J.M. Hardin
    My blog
    Registered Ubuntu User #10980

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you ever see the Northern Exposure where Chris was building a catapult in which he was going to FLING a cow? After chatting with Ed, he found out it had already been done before (on Monty Python I think).

Chris was distressed, because this was--he thought--a personal idea he'd had in the purist of senses. As an artist, he could not continue.

Well it just so happened that Maggie's house burnt down and Chris was there helping her look through the smoldering mess. And there left standing was the charred, yet ALIVE, remains of her piano. Chris had found the thing to fling. After all, a cow was just a cow, but that piano had perservered.

That's what you have to do. Find your thing to fling. It's all in the passion and the meaning you attach to what you're doing.

(Always a lesson to be learned from NE )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a learning experience, isn't it. When you do your design new things will come to mind, new creative ideas will flow, and so on. To stop is to stiffle the imagination.
    The design of my website I actually gave away to a site that gives away .fla's so others could use it and learn and have fun, I haven't seen it yet but its been taken over 3000 times. It doesn't matter.
    You should be having fun, being creative, and flowing with the experience, then nothing else matters.