SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consistent look and feel using multiple technologies.

Does anybody have any advice on keeping a consistent look and feel when dealing with multiple technologies?

For instance, I have an ASP page designed in Dreamweaver Ultradev. Some pages are connected to an access database. The index is connected to an access database so that users can set the index of the web site based on their preferences.

I also have online polls and a guestbook which I have developed using XML. I also have a community forum based on Twiki so that users can post comments and files on multiple threads like on Sitepoint here. This is used primarily for in-house collaboration.

The problem is that there are a variety of technologies that are being used. VBScript, JavaScript, Perl, CGI, HTML, DHTML, XML, XSLT, CSS, ODBC, etc. It is very difficult to maintain a consistent look and feel using all these technologies.

Most of the pages on this web site are generated dynamically. Since multiple technologies are being used, the background image, page and rendering styles must be generated in a variety of ways. Perl, ASP, XML, and XSLT are used to generate the pages. No single page is static, each page has all or some portion of it rendered at the time the user requests it. This means trying to parse XML with Perl, JavaScript, VBScript (for ASP) and XSL which is very inconsistent.

Does anybody have any advice?

Thanks in advance.
    <Edited by bbehrens on 12-15-2000 at 05:53 PM>
    Bradley S. Behrens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is it difficult to keep a consisten look and feel? Off all the technologies you mentioned only XSLT should be used to change the way thinks look. It is made for it. All the others are just tools to stucture your site or make some functionallity to it.

Even HTML should not be used to manage how a page looks. CSS or XSLT should be used for that.

just my 2 cents
    Bjarte S Karlsen
    Roleplayer and webdeveloper with a high nerd factor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know exactly how you feel, lol. I guess the best advice is to not use many technologies. Instead master 2-3 technologies. For example I only use three on everything I do (ASP, XML, CSS). It is better to stay consistant and master a couple then to have a bit of knowlede of many ( and get confused).
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com