SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb HELP! Company logo with longdesc...?

I have a question. Can I use longdesc for my web site / company logo, and as a link instead of the letter D a transparent graphic, with a link title and an alt tag?

And by the way, do Search Engines spiders follow longdesc?

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Webnauts
    I have a question. Can I use longdesc for my web site / company logo, and as a link instead of the letter D a transparent graphic, with a link title and an alt tag?
    There's nothing stopping you, although then you're pointing to a link of an image description using another image . That is VERY confusing (as are most "D-links" in general). In my opinion, if you're going to write a longdescription, just do it the way the specs say, with no D-link; eventually browsers will catch up.
    And by the way, do Search Engines spiders follow longdesc?

Thanks
    I don't see why they technically couldn't, but I'm not sure if they really do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vgarcia, you are right! I think I am just too confused at the moment, building my new web site:

http://www.webnauts.net/css/second.shtml

The reason I would like to use a longer description are:

1. Describe my logo, which would be something like this: "Web Accessibility and Usability Professionals Webnauts Net logo. A person with a disability sitting on a wheelchair and on his laps he has a laptop.

2. I thought this could push my higher in SE for the keywords accessibility and usability.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1. Describe my logo, which would be something like this: "Web Accessibility and Usability Professionals Webnauts Net logo. A person with a disability sitting on a wheelchair and on his laps he has a laptop.
    A description that short (less than 1,024 characters) should go into the title attribute anyway. Longdescriptions should be used when your description will take up more than 1,024 characters, such as when you're describing a very busy photograph. However, if you really want your longdescriptions to stand out, create a "regular" stylesheet with the d-links hidden, and an "access" stylesheet with the d-links showing. Maybe something like this:

normal.css
    Code:
    .dlink {
      display: none;
    }
    And don't include that rule in accessible.css, so the d-links will show. This is probably the best compromise until more browsers support longdesc properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If invisible, isn't that spam for search engines?

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, if it were done with CSS then it wouldn't be regarded as spam.

The links standout a lot better now they aren't blue and I doubt the need for a longdecr for the image a title would be good enough.