background: #184642 url(splash_bg2.gif) no-repeat top center; 
    		width: 744px;
    		height: 800px;
    		text-align: left;
    		margin-left: auto;
    		margin-right: auto;
    		border: 1px solid #184642;
          }
    I am using an image as the background for the page. Is there a way to specify an alt tag for the image (in CSS) in case someone is using a text browser or something. The text elements come up but the company name is part of the background image and I want it represented.

Thanks

Toni
    dare to Dream, dare to Be...
    www.eodweb.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Somebody using a text-only browser won't see ANY images, much less your background. Backgrounds are for decoration and shouldn't really convey any message without a text equivalent. If you want to do image replacement of a header though (which sounds like what you're going for), Doug's article should really help you out .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the article referral Vinnie - I'm not sure it addresses my problem exactly. I probably should have posted what I was trying to do in the first place.

www.eodweb.com/test

the company name, the crossbar and the circles are all part of the background image. The address and nav menu are text. I'm still not very familiar with CSS, of course I want to do the whole page layout with CSS - but oh so many questions. Anyway, I'd like to pull the company name out of the background image but the company demands that font (they've used it for 30 years with their company name!) so it has to be an image to ensure uniformity across computers. The problem with making it an image and positioning it (and utilizing the alt tag) is that I have the darn circles in the background and I can't get a clean transparent image of the text only.

other suggestions?

Toni
    dare to Dream, dare to Be...
    www.eodweb.com