SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have any experience with this, I am running Apache on win98 and all is good, I am trying to install ApacheJserv and start diving in to the world of JSP but I cannot seem to figure out how to get it going. I have JDK 1.3 installed but it says in oreder to install ApacheJserv on windows I need the Java sdk 2.0 I have combed the sun site but cannot find this can someone shed some light as to where to find it. Also can anyone shed some more light on how to get this running on Windows, Many Thanks!
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/download-windows.html

Wish you luck Freddy!, man I tried and tried but the whole JSP thing escapes me!, I have Apache configured and apparently running Tomcat and/or Jserv, JDK , you name it I have got it - apart from a clue how to use it !

I would love to hear how to actually do something with what I have, I have looked everywhere for basic & I mean basic tut's on this but have yet to find one, If you know of one..

Also for some reason even though I have Java on my PC ie Java virtual Machine, which came with IE or NS I forget which, I still had to download Java Virtual Machine seperately as the Jserv installation routine (nor I) could find java.exe on my machine, even though it must have been there somewhere.

I think I am gonna leave it for a while before I try again !

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks firepages, I can't even get through the install of Apache Jserv I alreay had the file you speak of but it asks the path to the java.exe and it finds it okay but then it wants a file caled jsdk.jar which I don't seem to have, any thoughts in that?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are better off trying to find a free host with JServ and JSP installed and using that rather than getting it working on Windows. I did have JServ running but I could not get JSP working. To get the jsdk.jar file you need the Java Run Time Environment (JRE).
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    freddy if you look for free host for jserv I would suggest you www.mycgiserver.com I signed up yesterday with them so they still accept new members
    Great Dane
    Gokhan ARLI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol - its fun isnt it!

well jsdk.jar on my machine is in C:\JSDK2.0\lib , http://jserv.javasoft.com/ is the link in my kit but I can not actually find the version that I only recently downloaded?

I remember now why I got confused!

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys I finally found jsdk2.0 after searching through some forums on sun.com I actually managed to get jsp running on my machine using orion application server running on port 85 And this morning I got Apache Jserv and tomcat running with my local apache on port 80. The donside I was up all night doing it. And since I know nothing about jsp I don't even know where to start. The reason I opted to do it myself is that yeah I could find a free host, but then I would still be in the dark as to how to configure the dn thing, and I have desire to know how everything works that I use. I want to better my slillset as best I can to make myself more valuable, although I wouldn't pay two cents for myself, but that is my personal opinion!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    freddy,

i would you seem to have a strong working knowledge of php...

JSP java, java servlets...that's a whole other world...if you know C++ then java wont be too hard.
    many people who think of java only think of applets and don't understand that there is a growing need for java developers and JSP,JHTML and other java driven "languages" are in great demand. sure your corner store who wants a website will not be requiring you use java, but the billion dollar enterprise in silicon valley would love to have you work for them if you know java well enough.

at work we're in the process of developing our e-biz infrastructure on a java platform using ATG.(the best e-commerce solution hands-down). and we're looking for java developers and paying very nicely for them.

so learn it. and you can easily make six figures with a year/two of experience.

me

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To tell you the truth that is what I have seen, yes my knowledge of php is, at least I like to thinik very thorough, but the number of jobs for java developers is fve times as much as php developers. What do you tink about the future of php in regardss to the number of jobs available vs java??? BTW I have knoe c++ background in fact php is the first programming/scriptiing language I have learned aside from html and javascript.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know for a fact that java will be on a different level than php (at least for the next 5 years or so to come.) sun is the driver behind this and they will do their best. jobs...oh yeah!

If you've never taken another type of programming language...oh yea...it's gonna be hard, but don't give up. you will come across crazy things in java.

so basically if you have 1-2 yrs of java experience (even more so if you have jsp, jml, jhtml, java servlet, jdbc)
    you'll be a very marketable person...

(you can easily get a job here in richardson, texas, USA the telecom corridor)

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    freddy,

Java is very object oriented. Classes, polymorphism, ect. are all part of the JAVA vocab. I have been trying to learn JSP for a while now and it still confuses me at times....

Have fun and good luck!

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DLG_1 is Richardson near Austin I am thinking about moving to Austin - need a php programmer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    austin is cool. but north dallas eclipses austin with respect to technology firms. i think the last count was over 600 within a 3 mile radius!!!! and the majority are not dot-coms that are going under, rather these are well run technology places.

north dallas is definately better.

why are you moving?

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to be closer to my wife's dad who lives in Austin. We are moving from CA if I can find a job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm sure you can find a job being a webmaster there...

and yes, i do need some php.

i just signed my largest contract yesterday for a multi-marketing client...

read my discussion thread regarding multi-level marketing and we could talk about you helping me in return for "cookies".

(i work full-time for a local company, but i also do my own stuff with whatever free time i have...)

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Austin is very technologically oriented but like DLG said North Dallas is the place.... Here in Houston JAVA developers are very scarce. In the classifieds the number one position available is Java developers, then ASP developers, and then C++ experts. You might check http://www.corneredrat.com they are a gaming company that uses Unix servers... I don't see any PHP or webmaster positions but I bet they would be glad to help you find something

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now I'm tossing up between writing a tutorial for SitePoint about ASP or one about JSP... Since there seem to be so many ASP resources out there, I think JSP would be of the most value. What do people think?
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah and can you cover the bascis on how to setup some kind of test enviornment on a Windows platform, if you could do all that you would Rule!!!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JSP would be good as I am after learning it

JSP is also a much rarer skill as well so the article would be popular too.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I've got an article to write this weekend. If you're lucky it just might be about setting up a JSP environment under Windows.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will be tops in my book! That is about the windows part!