SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I was wondering if you could give me your honest opinion of my website (http://www.derp.net). I would like to know where I went wrong if I did, and how I can improve it. Can you also rate it on a scale of 1-10? Your opinion is appreciated. Thanks.

"Revolutionize Your Future"
    http://www.dynamixpro.com

"The mind is like a sky diver's parachute, it needs to open in order to succeed." - me

http://www.derp.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You said you wanted a number from 1 to 10 so starting with the premise that everyone gets a 10 and loses points, here goes -

-1 For intro screens. This tends to annoying and visitors may never reach your site. You have two pages that user must go through compunded by the fact that tripod puts a pop-up for each new page, i.e. three pop-ups and the third page in before I can see your site.

-1 Purpose is unclear, at least at first. Usually some type of mission or purpose statement at the top of the homepage is helpful. There is a series of thumbnail images on the right that the intial purpose is unclear.

-1 Many of the images are saved in a JPG format which tends to look poor compared to GIF images for this type of format. As a rule of thumb, GIF is good for clipart and text, JPG is good for Photographs.

-1 Many elements are lost in Netscape including the news box.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -Loading time is too long (more than a minute, and I've cable internet)
    -took me seven tries to get the site loaded, probably some errors of Angelfire/Tripod.

Further the site looks nice, although, like said before, its purpose isn't clear at first sight.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

2 for appearance

1 for loading, I would never have kept trying if I had not been sure your site was there.

1 for accessability code. Area,Link, select and Image are all missing their accessability code.

7 for the graphic. i like it. it may have been better just with the one on top and not the other two in the background.

1 center the page. i am using a 1024 and it is bunched up on the left.

1 same accessability problem as before. i won't look again, it is obvious that the problem is throughout. But there is an opportunity to really shine in the galley area.

Summary I liked the graphics, but the load time is a show-stopper. When the accessability items are used, the internet becomes available to a larger group of users. Your site has a vast array of possibility for this element. I am going to move off topic for just a moment. Your great art work under the clickable banners could be completely described in files and that files pointed to by use of a longdesc. The descriptions could be really elaborate or brief, your choice.

Thanks for sharing

peace

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site and great graphics but i hate the fact that it is part of tripod so there are popup banners. Overall, a 7.
    Paul Goodman
    www.thestands.com- Talk Sports and surf our network of sites.
    paul@thestands.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the graphics look very nice, but I it took a while to figure out what the site was about or where to go, and the load time was very poor. I'd give it a 5.5 out of 10.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,

the site is too slow to load

i don't like the position of some big logos / images

i don't like the pop up banners

overall 5

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again I should mention the load as it's takes a while. Once I get through the into, which should be elimiated, the graphic on the bottom and probaly be pulled up so there's no reason to scroll down. Once on the page I again notice a long load time even on a cable modem. The colors look good and all blend well together. The news box probaly shouldn't have it's own box. Couldn;t you just put a horizontal line below the image then begin the news?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually like the avant garde layout of the site, but like some others said, I don't like the fact that it is on tripod. that is the thing that can kill a site viewing experience for me. if i expect to go to something with a domain name and then i'm redirected to a free host with numerous pop-up banners, i am inclined to tune out. but that's just me. it comes from the belief that there are too many inexpensive web hosts and domain registration sites out there. (I'll get off my soapbox now)

The design of the site is very interesting though and I love your graphics.

Patrick Veverka
    http://www.blueridgestorytelling.com
    http://www.palettenetworks.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, the preload sequence should be invisible to the user.
    Second, after preloading, the next page it brought me to still had to download more mages which meant waiting longer again.
    The preload page font were really small....

Thats all, I'll leave the layout comments to others
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Addict michaelwheaton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The page would not even display for me so it's hard to give you my opinion. However, I could definately suggest purchasing your own domain name and hosting. Domains are like $15 or so at http://www.joker.com and you can get great hosting at http://www.netfirms.com for only $60/year. I'll check back some other time and see if it's working!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You site is very modern. I really like that. Most people donít, but I do. The thing I would change is, take that thing off tripod, make your menu a bit more exiting, and try to avoid making users scroll so much. Over all, I thing you site is an 8.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I like the grpahics on your site very much. As far as the design goes...well, it could be better. I think you are wasting spaces and working "down" the page, instead of across.
    .::KrypToniK::.