SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb best way for updates?

OK, I've got a site that I want to update frequently and change leader sentences around when I want through different subpages without going and changing the HTML on every page. I'm thinking I could use JS and define variables as my "blurbs" and links and then they'd set up across all the pages as defined. Or I could dive into more of an understanding of PHP & mySQL (i know some basics). Any advice/suggestions?
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JS is bad because it won't be indexed by search engines because they ignore JS, so all your updated content wont be searchable.
    Yes, u should dive into php or asp.
    Fast Fwd Multimedia
    Web, IT & Cloud Computing Consultancy
    Currently looking for web freelancers. Get in touch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if u need to update content of your website frequently, learning server-side scripting language is definitely a must.
    My advice: get acquainted with basics - SQL (queries), http server variables, form processing, and simple syntax of most popular languages (they are all basically similar to 2 programming languages Visual Basic and C/C++).
    Then, you'll be able to reuse large amount of free code you'll find, doesn't matter if it is some ASP/Access or PHP/MySQL or some other combination...
    Vivvo CMS - Web publishing at your fingertips
    Mile voli disko, a ja belo kolumbijsko

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except that PHP/MySQL is free and ASP/Access will cost you loads of money and is proprietary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest way I have found is to create php includes on each of your pages then just change the php includes and your done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use php includes to include text files. I then set up an editor for the included files so the client can update the sections. Just set up LITHYEM FileEditor for one client. It works great and is fairly easy for non-techies to deal with. found it at www.lithyem.net

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I create a single php file, with functions for all the bits I need - header, footer, nav etc... Then include the file in the top of every file and call the function when you want to print out certain bits.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yngwin
    Except that PHP/MySQL is free and ASP/Access will cost you loads of money
    Nah, not really. The difference in price between Linux and Windows hosts is pretty small. The big costs have always been and will always be hardware, maintenance and support.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I originally meant: if you want to install that stuff on your own machine, for development. Even so, Windows hosts are more expensive, as they need more hardware and maintenance, and of course the license costs.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yngwin
    I originally meant: if you want to install that stuff on your own machine, for development. Even so, Windows hosts are more expensive, as they need more hardware and maintenance, and of course the license costs.
    I know, but the difference is really very small. It's perfectly possible to find bottom dollar Windows hosting as well as Linux hosting. I also disagree that Windows hosts need more maintenance - no reason it should. The big costs are personel and bandwidth, which is why the difference between the two is so marginal. Licencing costs and hardware are teensy weensy in comparison.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need quick and frequent updates, php is the way to go. Use the include feature on all pages, to divide all common content into a single php file, that's gonna be included into all your pages.
    If you don't have much tiem on your hands, www.hotscripts.com always stands out there for you and your updating scripts needs

Good luck!