SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discussion thread for Caffeinate Your Hypertext

This is a dedicated thread for discussing the SitePoint article 'Caffeinate Your Hypertext'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great article!

I've always been slightly wary of including links like this that give little clue as to where they will take you simply because I don't like to click on a link without a fair idea of where it leads (anyone who's been tricked in to visiting a certain goatse site will no doubt agree with me). A great way of adding some extra information about the destination of an unclear link is to add a title attribute to the link containing the full title of the page (or a better title if that page's title tag has something generic in it). I use this technique extensively on my blog.

Anonymous
    SitePoint Community Guest
    As a programmer, I like my information straight foward, therefore, I felt there were too many links on some of the pages. Although it was a good article, and reminded me to stop doing the 'click here' method.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunk
    I've always been slightly wary of including links like this that give little clue as to where they will take you simply because
    Wouldn't that be a good example of them, because from the context we would expect something silly and useles, and that's what the link is

Not read the article, may at some point.

Douglas
    Hello World

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunk
    Great article!

I've always been slightly wary of including links like this that give little clue as to where they will take you simply because I don't like to click on a link without a fair idea of where it leads (anyone who's been tricked in to visiting a certain goatse site will no doubt agree with me). A great way of adding some extra information about the destination of an unclear link is to add a title attribute to the link containing the full title of the page (or a better title if that page's title tag has something generic in it). I use this technique extensively on my blog.

Absolutely, the anchor's title attribute is your friend. Combine that with being selective about which words actually become part of the link, and you're actually providing something useful.

The "whole point" of the web is to get carried away with knowledge... read one article, get sucked into supplemental information through one of those links and, reading the next page, follow yet another link... and then another... and then another...

The idea is that you start reading about XHTML and somehow end up on a page about squirrels.

That's the beauty of HyperText. You can provide so much more information without ruining the flow of the page, or stuffing it all into footnotes.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I blame the old CMS systems which couldn't handle links... Perhaps one day we'll be able to add title text to links in vB too??

Douglas
    Hello World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnewt

The "whole point" of the web is to get carried away with knowledge... read one article, get sucked into supplemental information through one of those links and, reading the next page, follow yet another link... and then another... and then another...
    footnotes.
    I was hoping my article would have a bit of that affect

That is indeed one of the benefits of the Web. It is unfortunately, one of the few things it is best at. It would be nice (and hence the semantic web, as well as some of the things I'm going to bring out in my next article) if we could also use the web for some more focused things.

One interesting thing about hypertext, and I forgot to mention this in my article: It gives the illusion of user freedom. The author still has complete control. Author laziness is the only reason the web is remotely egalitarian.

Of course, this has some rather interesting ramifications for marketing, etc. Everybody wins (from the marketer's view), because the consumer thinks that he/she has more freedom/power over her/his own choices, while the marketer knows that he ultimately controls the viewing experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great article! -- I actually read the whole thing without skimming.

I think, as the internet became commercial and perhaps, as people started writing with search engines in mind, they've lost sight of the 'hyper' of hypertext - and the fun of hypertext! True, some sites are meant for providing information quickly, but some are designed as spaghetti, which ain't necesesarily A Bad Thing.

Back in 1994 or so, I put together the Coleridge Archive as a site to browse and graze and get lost in. At the same time, I was creating hypertext documentation for a complex computational chemistry program which had two main purposes - for new users to learn how to use the program as well as the scientific theory it was based on, and for experienced users to quickly find the syntax and rules for the command-language interface. Although organized rationally, it wasn't linear - for example, the detailed math behind the theory wasn't in the main flow (but linked); and there were lots of links that enabled people to ignore entire sections if they didn't want/need to change the default program parameters.

thanks for the article!

Marj

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matiefert

Great article! -- I actually read the whole thing without skimming.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matiefert
    Back in 1994 or so, I put together the Coleridge Archive as a site to browse and graze and get lost in.
    So you're the Marjorie who did that? Crazy. As I'm currently studying Literature, I've had reason to peruse your Coleridge site. It has been another one of those great inspiring (and useful) sites I have come across over the years.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberPaw
    So you're the Marjorie who did that? Crazy. As I'm currently studying Literature, I've had reason to peruse your Coleridge site. It has been another one of those great inspiring (and useful) sites I have come across over the years.
    Glad you like it - Thanks!

Marj

Anonymous
    Nice article though i think it would have fitted in less pages.

Anyway, think what would've happened if BT was able to enforce it's so called patent on hyperlinks a while back.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/sci_tech/2000/dot_life/1814080.stm

because you gotta have beer! firegryphon3207's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really liked this article. Gave me a few ideas for refining what I have been doing at work.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who cares about how my content links together.
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    tinyplanet.org <--a nifty spot.

Anonymous
    Who would have thought that you could take a dry subject like hypertext and make it entertaining?