User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE Mac doesn't display images

Hello,

I'm using CSS for layout, and these images display everywhere but in IE Mac. Can anyone tell me why the images in the lower half of the index.html page aren't displaying? I've checked everything I know to check.

http://www.boisestate.edu/english/jh...mfa/index.html

Thanks,
    Janet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think your javascript is detecting correctly on a Mac. I work on a Mac using IE and looked at the source. It doesn't appear that a stylesheet is being loaded for the page. If a class is called which doesn't exist then it will have problems. I would print out the variable to see what the javascript is actually returning (if it's MSIE or not) ... most likely it's not returning the right values and leaving your stylesheets out of the code. That's my guess.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your images don't show up in Mozilla Firebird either. I suggest using ONE stylesheet (or maybe 2, one for older browsers that gets <link>ed, and another for newer browsers that gets @import'ed and overrides the styles in the <link>ed stylesheet) and foregoing the browser/user agent string checks. If you're going to use this message:
    Code:
    <p class="browsernote"><big>This site's design is only visible in a graphical browser that supports <a href="http://www.webstandards.org/upgrade/" title="The
      Web Standards Project's BROWSER UPGRADE
      initiative.">web standards</a>, but its content is
      accessible to any browser or Internet device.</big></p>
    Then you should be using proper Web standards as well.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Kevin,
    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't know how to do what you're suggesting I do--I've put the pages together using examples from the web & trial & error, & am not really a designer--just a poet who has to keep up a few web pages. Could you tell me how to print out the variable?

Does it make sense that the stylesheets load for Netscape on a Mac, but not for IE?

Thanks for your help,
    Janet

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Vinnie,

The pages validate according to the validations site, so I'm not sure what you're suggesting re my browser note.

Janet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janet Holmes
    Dear Vinnie,

The pages validate according to the validations site, so I'm not sure what you're suggesting re my browser note.

Janet
    If your pages validate, then you don't need to create a separate stylesheet for each type of browser. They should all (well, for the most part, except NS4/IE4) be able to use the same stylesheet just fine.