User Tag List

Thread: Redirect Link??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redirect Link??

I've got a question about my home page.

I had an underconstruction page on my website, not I have some of my site up and want to take it down. I deleted the default.htm page from my root dir (it was the underconstruction page) Now I have an empty root folder on my website, (except it has one folder in it) My entire website is inside that subfolder of the root dir, but for some reason my underconstruction page still shows when you type my url, even though it's not on the server... I don't understand that, does anyone know why that is?

Secondly, since my website is in that subdir, I want to auto direct anyone who comes to my website, to that folder... I have no idea how to do it but I've seen it done before like.. "Welcome, you will be redirected to our site in 5 seconds, otherwise click HERE to jump to our site now"...

How could I build a html page that would provide that function??

thanks in advance.

Edit:
    Ok, I got the link figure out, I'm just going to leave in manuall so they can click it, it's not that big of a deal I guess.

But I still cannot figure out what is wrong with the page. Ok, if you use this link

http://www.jonescomputersolutions.com

you'll get a page (an underconstruction) page that no longer exists on the server. It's been deleted. My root dir has NOTHING in it but a folder.

But if you use this link

http://www.jonescomputersolutions.com/index.htm

It gives the correct page... Can someone tell me why this happens? I would assume that the plain link (the first one) would auto find the default page in the server, not some page that does exist... could the old page be stored some place I dont have access to.. like in a "admin only" folder?? I don't understand whats going on with this.

The website's not really even up and running yet, but it's still annoying.

Thanks.
    Last edited by XX7509; Oct 4, 2003 at 00:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why don't you use your root dir for the forums?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XX7509
    Secondly, since my website is in that subdir, I want to auto direct anyone who comes to my website, to that folder... I have no idea how to do it but I've seen it done before like.. "Welcome, you will be redirected to our site in 5 seconds, otherwise click HERE to jump to our site now"...

How could I build a html page that would provide that function??

thanks in advance.
    You can use javascript or a meta refresh to do a timed redirect - except it's not too accessible and google will hate you

You'd be better off creating a .htaccess file if you are able to (if you are hosted on an apache server and your host permeits the use of .htaccess).

If you are able to create a plain text file with the following in it:

Code:
    Redirect permanent /index.htm http://www.yoursite.com/subdirectory/index.html
    That all needs to be on one line with a single space between each of the three parts. Change index.htm to the name of the deleted file, then correct the URI for the new file to redirect to. This will provide a seamless transition to the new page and as it tells google that the original file is permanently removed google will understand

The order is 1. Command 2. Old file including the initial forward slash 3. full URI to new file.

To save a .htaccess if you use notepad to create it select Save As, then All Files, and enter the file name as ".htaccess" including the quotes or notepad will append .txt to the end. Save it to your site root and you are good to go

But I still cannot figure out what is wrong with the page. Ok, if you use this link

http://www.jonescomputersolutions.com

you'll get a page (an underconstruction) page that no longer exists on the server. It's been deleted. My root dir has NOTHING in it but a folder.

But if you use this link

http://www.jonescomputersolutions.com/index.htm

It gives the correct page... Can someone tell me why this happens?
    I get the same page from both links, and not the under construction one. It's probably a caching issue at your end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome!

How can I fix a caching problem? I noticed that my browser (latest version of ie) does not always work, like on this forum sometimes I get the entire page, and other times I get only text and some icons, the rest are all places with a white box or a red x and I dont understand why that happens. I went into options and restored the default settings but that didn't help, so maybe my browser is not working right. Also I have cookies turned on, but they dont seem to work because even on this website I have to login every time I come here. They are set to medium level I believe...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. clear your internet temporary files
    2. hit ctrl-F5. This is a "force" refresh.
    HostVoice.net - When Hosts Compete, You Win
    Looking for a web host? Let them compete for your business.
    Submit a free request and receive offers within 15 minutes
    from qualifying hosts - Personal, business, NT, dedicated!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try dynamicdrive.com, it has a load of helpful javascripts and im almost certain they have a re-direct one
    5TU4RT
    - Personal Webpage/Portfolio of Stuart Young..