SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mozilla issues with section of my page

if you go HERE in mozilla the right column gets squished into the other ones...and i don't know why...in IE it's perfect...i've spent the last hour or so trying to get it to work but i've had no luck...if somebody could take a gander that would rock. thanks.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your <div id="gamemain"> is 415 pixels wide.

It contains divs which are 415 pixels wide, which have 3px left/right borders. According to the CSS2 Box model, border width is ADDED to the specified content-width, so these internal divs end up 421 pixels wide, including borders.

Here's what I think is happening:

At this stage, IE *guesses* that you wanted "gamemain" to be wider, and streteches it to accommodate the extra width.

On the other hand, mozilla obeys your style rule specifying that "gamemain" should be only 415 pixels wide. The internal divs overflow out the side, and eat up the gap between the centre and right columns.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I think blufive is on the right track because if you take out the 415px altogether then everything lines up correctly in Mozilla and Opera7 (&ie6).

I also notice that you have made a similar mistake in gameheader2 where you have defined 100% width and then added 3px borders. This will make the element 100% wide +6px. Take out the width:100% altogether and it should be ok.

Paul