SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question file copy restrictions

Hi there,

Is it possible to put a restriction on a file/folder that only allows a folder to be downloaded and only accessed once... therefore not allowing duplicates of the original file/folder? Is anything like this possible? suggestions welcomed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... not quite with you , do you mean once per user ? or once only ever ?

you can restrict access to a file/folder via htacess though in your case you would have to create/modify the htaccess file after the first download.

I suspect making the folder contents only available to your scripts (eg not directly accessible) and then using a script to manage the downloads is a possible solution.

but we need more info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE='firepages']... not quite with you , do you mean once per user ? or once only ever ?

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough on my intent. What I need to develop is a system that allows a user to download a folder (contents - many files). Once the user has downloaded this folder onto their computer I would like to be able to restrict access to this downloaded folder allowing only access to this folder once then folder becomes unaccessible.

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way and that's why it a little clouded in my explaination. all suggestions welcomed. thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC#1
    Sorry, I wasn't clear enough on my intent. What I need to develop is a system that allows a user to download a folder (contents - many files). Once the user has downloaded this folder onto their computer I would like to be able to restrict access to this downloaded folder allowing only access to this folder once then folder becomes unaccessible.
    There's probably many ways to do this. The obvious way(not necessarily the best, or even good) is to keep a record in a db table of who has already downloaded. Once that person downloads the stuff,
    add something in the db to signal that that person has already downloaded the stuff, and relate it to their user id.

Of course it might be possible for people to sign up with more than one user account, depending on how your system's set up.

--ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coo_t2
    keep a record in a db table of who has already downloaded. Once that person downloads the stuff,
    add something in the db to signal that that person has already downloaded the stuff
    thanks for your reply. Unfortunetly, I haven't described properly what I'm needing to do.

My problem is with the file after it has been downloaded. Once the downloaded file is on the users computer is it possible that the user can be blocked to only open or copy that file once?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once the downloaded file is on the users computer is it possible that the user can be blocked to only open or copy that file once?
    no , not using conventional methods anyway , you would need to get them to download a compiled application of some sort to restrict access.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firepages
    no , not using conventional methods anyway , you would need to get them to download a compiled application of some sort to restrict access.
    Is this something that could be written in PERL to accomplish this type of restriction?