User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please evaluate 1stpage2000

Hi,
    Just downloaded 1stpage and just wanted to know if there is anything I should be aware of. Bugs, support etc.

Also it appears from the Evrsoft site, this will be the last edition.

Thanks!
    fewcoin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought it was a good HTML editor for starters, I only used it for a period of 2 or 3 months before I discovered dreamweaver.

La la la la la bronze trophy lieut_data's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found 1stPage 2000 to be a great starting program for Web Development, but it's age is showing.

It doesn't support PHP, hasn't been updated in several years, and appears to be abandoned by the designer (which, when you read through the forums, seems a tad eccentric, IMHO).

I'd recommend PHPEdit -- despite it's name, it also serves as a great HTML editor (plus, you can move right into PHP as soon as you feel comfortable)

One thing wrong with 1stPage, is a script that any Anti-Virus program will pick up, if run -- some sort of IE Window Bomber. Just delete it, and you should be on your way.
    My name is Steve, and I'm a super-villian.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend HTML Kit over 1st Page
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homesite has always been my weapon of choice. I tried this one but it just didn't give me a good fell like Homesite did. Guess its all opinion, because everyone so far has offered up an alternative and not a single repeat

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I do use Homesite and find 1stpage looks similar in many respects. Yes, I did get the feeling they abandoned 1stpage from the looks of their website. I'll try html-kit next.

I actually started out with FrontPage but began to feel very handicapped in not ever seeing or learning the code so I'll switch to a coding type editor and use that regularly. I'll probably stick with Homesite or html-kit.

Thanks!
    fewcoin

Ensure you finish what you sta bronze trophy John Colby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I use it the more I like HTML-Kit - I was introduced to it as the tool we use for teaching - and now I use it exclusively despite having Dreamweaver available. Why? I feel I remain in control.
    John
    No electrons were harmed during the creation, transmission
    or reading of this posting. However, many were excited and
    some may have enjoyed the experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe I'm mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by Scud
    Homesite has always been my weapon of choice. I tried this one but it just didn't give me a good fell like Homesite did. Guess its all opinion, because everyone so far has offered up an alternative and not a single repeat [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Mayeb I'm wrong because I used homestead about 4 years ago when I knew absolutely nothing. But isnt that builder a drag and drop type of thing? All based on layers?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend PHPEdit
    Some on this thread have recommended PHPedit, but I found their web site to be lacking in basic information. For example, for as many times as I have downloaded such things, I could not decide which version of the editor to download. The smaller of the two ("web" version) implied that it was designed to be used via a browser, while the larger of the two was so huge (almost 20mb) that I wondered if maybe they had packaged in Apache, PHP interpreter, etc.

So could someone here enlighten me as to the actual differences between the two? i.e., what all is included in the "complete" version? (I already have a server set up on my local machine.)

Thanks for any help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Junky
    Mayeb I'm wrong because I used homestead about 4 years ago when I knew absolutely nothing. But isnt that builder a drag and drop type of thing? All based on layers?
    Homesite had a very very weak WYSIWYG editor in it, but it was basically a hand-coder at the start and I would use the WYSIWYG tab to view my changes or edit some text real quick. I've never used the WYSIWYG for designing - ever.

This is also why Macromedia fused it with Dreamweaver which had a much better WYSIWYG editor. Greatest product I know of, although 2004 acts sluggish and heavy to me.