Hi, I've been lurking here for a few weeks, and have found these forums really informative. Keep it up!

A few friends and I are working on an online service (still alpha stage, not online yet) that we would like to hear some comments on. Before I describe it, I should say that it is *not* a banner ad/links exchange.

Roughly, what we do is to crawl a number of sites with related content (eg. on javascript/ASP/VBscript/Perl), analyse the pages, and generate links between related or similar pages across the sites. Then, just like ad networks, each of the websites would put an IFRAME that points to our servers, which, depending on the current page being served by a participating site, would serve a vertical sidebar of related links that we generated. Note that the links point to *specific* pages within a site and not just to a site (eg. the main page).

Your first impression, I suspect, would be, why would anyone ever want to send visitors *away* from their site? The first reason is, you would get a proportionate amount of links on *other* sites pointing to your site, and more importantly, they may be *new* visitors, who may hitherto be unaware of your site's existence.

Second, the total number of impressions across the sites would increase because the frictional cost of navigating between the similar pages across different sites is significantly decreased.

What I would like to know is:

Would you join such a service if it was setup?

How would you be willing to pay for such a service? a small percentage of ad revenues, a small monthly fee? How much would you be willing to pay?

Thanks for any comments in advance!
asdfred