SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry probs with variables and scope

Hi all, i have a project for which i decided to pull out all the sql queries and stick them in one file. so i have a number of queries like for eg.

$SQL_INSERTINVENTORY = "INSERT INTO inventory (serialNumber, modelNumber) VALUES ('$serialNumber', '$HTTP_POST_VARS[modelNumber]')";

and execute it with something like

$invResult = $db->withReturn($SQL_INSERTINVENTORY);

now, the $HTTP_POST_VARS variable, which is passed to the function as a parameter, is evaluated and assigned as i want it to. however if i manipulate the HTTP_POST_VAR variable before inserting it and assign it to another local variable OR i just generate a local variable, it does not get assigned properly in the sql query.

upon echoing the query, i get the following

INSERT INTO inventory (serialNumber, modelNumber) VALUES ('', 'aModelNumber')

notice that the local var does not get assigned.

is this because the local var is not available at the time that the SQL query file is included? if this is the case, how would i go gettign around this problem? would the eval function help at all, i've tried it in several different ways with no luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dozenmatta
    Hi all, i have a project for which i decided to pull out all the sql queries and stick them in one file. so i have a number of queries like for eg.

$SQL_INSERTINVENTORY = "INSERT INTO inventory (serialNumber, modelNumber) VALUES ('$serialNumber', '$HTTP_POST_VARS[modelNumber]')";

and execute it with something like

$invResult = $db->withReturn($SQL_INSERTINVENTORY);

now, the $HTTP_POST_VARS variable, which is passed to the function as a parameter, is evaluated and assigned as i want it to. however if i manipulate the HTTP_POST_VAR variable before inserting it and assign it to another local variable OR i just generate a local variable, it does not get assigned properly in the sql query.

upon echoing the query, i get the following

INSERT INTO inventory (serialNumber, modelNumber) VALUES ('', 'aModelNumber')

notice that the local var does not get assigned.

is this because the local var is not available at the time that the SQL query file is included? if this is the case, how would i go gettign around this problem? would the eval function help at all, i've tried it in several different ways with no luck.
    Yeah, the variables are evaluted as soon as the query file parsed.

One possible way is to use sprintf()
    Code:
    $SQL_INSERTINVENTORY = "INSERT INTO inventory(serialNumber, modelNumber) VALUES('%s', '%s')";

$invResult = $db->withReturn(sprintf($SQL_INSERTINVENTORY, $serialNumber, $HTTP_POST_VARS['modelnumber']);
    (PS: if serialNumber & modelNumber are strings they should be escaped first.
    Code:
    $invResult = $db->withReturn(sprintf($SQL_INSERTINVENTORY, $db->escapeString($serialNumber), $db->escapeString($HTTP_POST_VARS['modelnumber']));
    )

Also dont have to use a variable, a define may work better.

Code:
    define('SQL_INSERTINVENTORY', "INSERT INTO inventory(serialNumber, modelNumber) VALUES('%s', '%s')");

$invResult = $db->withReturn(sprintf(SQL_INSERTINVENTORY, $serialNumber, $HTTP_POST_VARS['modelnumber']);

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, looks like a good idea.