SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Education

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

If I wanted to become a professional PHP/Database programmer, and possibly ASP (which would include visual basic, etc,etc), what degree or what type of education should I get.

I know there is the 4 year colleges but I really don't want to have to go there if I can avoid it. I've also heard that you can get a 3 year degree in the programming field, so that is another option.

I would really love to be able to go to a technical school since they don't have very many "general" type of classes there and you can get working on what you like to do.

Please educate me on how you look at this subject and what benifits you have experience going the "non-educated" route or the "educated" route. If you went the educated route, please let me know what classes you took.

Thanks!

Chris Roane

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most colleges or universities won't cover PHP, or even ASP, simply because they are newer technologies. Obviously PHP is newer than ASP And would be harder to find classes for.

University of Pheonix is an online accredited university and they offer an Information Technology Bachelors degree program that does include some classes on PHP program (I'm fairly certain).

If you wanted to learn Cold Fusion, which does the same things as ASP or PHP. Allaire has a whole system of certification that you could take part in.

Penn State University also covers server side scripting in its Information Systems Technology major, however you cannot complete the major online, so unless you want to move thats not really an option.

You see, the problem you run into with these new technologies is that there are no teachers. Who is going to teach PHP when they could be out making more money working on websites? It takes time for new subject matter to be incorporated into the curriculum at any major school.

If you want to get a degree, and a degree is beneficial, you'd probably want to major in Information Technology, not necessarily computer science.

And of course, if you don't want "official" certification or a degree, you can look at Brainbench.com

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot aspen!

That gives me some more options.

Is there any internet programmer out there that has a decent paying job that didn't go to a 4 year college?

Just wondering.

Chris Roane

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are serious about getting in to software development then I would suggest a Software Engineering degree and preferably one that includes a year in industry (I know that take sit to 4 years but it is well worth it and a proven fact that people who do the version with a year in idustry find it easier and get better marks in their final year).
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So is software development and programming programs for the web in the same area? I had thought they were two different things, but now it seems like they are fairly similar.

Chris Roane

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are pretty similar, not in implementation but they are in concept. Software Engineering teaches the the fundamentals of building good quality, reliable software e.g. How to plan and document projects etc.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.