SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modify source-order of columns -- worth it?

Should I bother putting the content first in my design? Or is it not worth the hassles?

My layout could be arranged in such a way that the centre content column comes before the navigation column, but it will be a pain to get working properly. Is it worth it? Or should I stick with the navigation->content order?
    Love it? Hate it? Helpful? Useless?
    Use the rate button to let me know what you think of my post!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucahg
    Should I bother putting the content first in my design? Or is it not worth the hassles?

My layout could be arranged in such a way that the centre content column comes before the navigation column, but it will be a pain to get working properly. Is it worth it? Or should I stick with the navigation->content order?
    Content ahead of navigation is better for SEO (or so I've heard, I can't really back this up with any real data, so check the SEO forums ). For accessibility purposes though, it really doesn't matter. If you put your navigation first, be sure there's a "Skip to Content" type link before your nav starts, and if you put your content first, be sure there's a "Skip to Navigation" link before your content starts. That way, keyboard-users, text-only browsers, and others will benefit from it any way you order your source code.

Ensure you finish what you sta bronze trophy John Colby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Answer from me is yes - content before navigation

I've dome some limite tests with JAWS and people who are blind, and content first is easier to navigate as JAWS doesn't try to tell you where to go from 'here' before telling you what's 'here'.

Technique used at meyerweb.com.
    John
    No electrons were harmed during the creation, transmission
    or reading of this posting. However, many were excited and
    some may have enjoyed the experience.

Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Content ahead of navigation is better for SEO (or so I've heard, I can't really back this up with any real data, so check the SEO forums [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]). For accessibility purposes though, it really doesn't matter. If you put your navigation first, be sure there's a "Skip to Content" type link before your nav starts, and if you put your content first, be sure there's a "Skip to Navigation" link before your content starts. That way, keyboard-users, text-only browsers, and others will benefit from it any way you order your source code.
    To the topic "Skip Navigation" I wrote a tutorial today which may be found here:
    http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...hreadid=131191