User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Relative & Abosolute Links

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone has a solution to my problem here.

I've got an Intranet site with a few thousand pages and this is stored on a shared drive on the local file server. We may be moving this to a web server soon and we may have a problem because not all the links were made relative. So there are about 850 links that start

<a href="file:

I can do a find and replace but the problem is that not all the pages are in the same place...Is there a simple way of changing the links to relative while maintaining a valid link?

E.g. current link is <a href="File:///C:/My Documents/mylinkedpage.html>click here<end tag>

The link it should be is: <a href="../../../my documents/mylinkedpage.html>click here<end tag>

I'm guessing that it will have to be a manual process but hopefully someone will prove me wrong and come up with some amazing way of doing it ?

Cheers

Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tezdread
    Hi all,

Wonder if anyone has a solution to my problem here.

I've got an Intranet site with a few thousand pages and this is stored on a shared drive on the local file server. We may be moving this to a web server soon and we may have a problem because not all the links were made relative. So there are about 850 links that start

<a href="fileBR><BR>I can do a find and replace but the problem is that not all the pages are in the same place...Is there a simple way of changing the links to relative while maintaining a valid link?<BR><BR>E.g. current link is <a href="File:///C:/My Documents/mylinkedpage.html>click here<end tag>

The link it should be is: <a href="""../../../my documents/mylinkedpage.html>click here<end tag>

I'm guessing that it will have to be a manual process but hopefully someone will prove me wrong and come up with some amazing way of doing it ?

Cheers
    So far I know when linking from your site to another site, you should always use absolute links.

If not, then you may use relative links.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really sounds like a search and replace exercise which you would do at folder level - I assume all pages are on the one server and are just moving to another?

Alternatively, if you're using ASPs you can declare an application variable which sets the root folder then declare that variable in front of all of your hrefs doing without the need for loads of "../"

By the way I think this topic needs moved!