SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Need to restore phpmyadmin mysql backup

Hey guys, I have a problem with phpmyadmin - I have a 650meg SQL file (!) that I need to dump back into one of our databases. However when I try to run it as a file phpmyadmin just says "Document contains data" which I guess it because the document contains too much data. Any suggestions on how to get around this? I really need to get the DB back up and running - our server got hacked :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke@ams
    I guess it because the document contains too much data. Any suggestions on how to get around this?
    You don't have to run the whole file all at once. Try breaking it down to smaller files (one table + contents in one file, for example) or copy & paste smaller portions of it into phpMyAdmin.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks itsy. I just discovered similar advice in this phpBB KB article (right at the end) but the program wont load on my PC. Argh. I can't even open the DB dump in my text editor because its too big. Hmmmm :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke@ams
    I can't even open the DB dump in my text editor because its too big.
    Check out www.ultraedit.com - it'll handle that without problems.
    Lats...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Lats, I'll have to look into that for the future. HTML-Kit kept chocking on ~35mb files. As it turned out, Wordpad did the trick just fine... go figure :/

FWIW I didn't end up using phpmyadmin to restore the DB, but ended up splitting it using file splitting software I found via a phpBB forum link to tucows, then putting the right pieces back together (there was a lot of junk) with wordpad, and then after my sysadmin got my SSH access back up and running, I just used good old:

mysql -u username -p database_name < backup_file.sql

with the phpmyadmin dump which, after hours of stuffing around, worked.