SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ascii to Binary or a better way

I've got a client who lists their newsletter on the website - pulled in from the database & ordered by Title.

So when they got to volume 10, they wondered why it showed up at the top of the list instead of the bottom - I explained the ascii way of organizing numbers.

They don't upload their NL's in order, so using a datestamp isn't a solution at this point.

Will PHP change ascii to binary? So if they put in a "10", will it change it to whatevery binary is and put it after "9"?

Or, is there a better solution?

La la la la la bronze trophy lieut_data's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oregonbum
    I've got a client who lists their newsletter on the website - pulled in from the database & ordered by Title.

So when they got to volume 10, they wondered why it showed up at the top of the list instead of the bottom - I explained the ascii way of organizing numbers.

They don't upload their NL's in order, so using a datestamp isn't a solution at this point.

Will PHP change ascii to binary? So if they put in a "10", will it change it to whatevery binary is and put it after "9"?

Or, is there a better solution?
    Simply add a column type of type INT representing the Volume (i.e. 1, 2, 3, ..., 10), and ' ORDER BY Title, Volume'.

Then MySQL (or whataver DBMS you are using) will sort as the user intends it to)
    My name is Steve, and I'm a super-villian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks much! Works like a charm, and client it beaming!