SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local to Remote - placing database on server

Hello:

I have large MySQL database on my local machine that I need to send to the remote host's MySQL server. He doesn't allow remote access to his MySQL server. He has made me an empty database, given it a name, a username, and a password.

How do I send up my local MySQL database to the remote host's servers without having to re-enter all this data?

I am fairly new to PHP and therefore need some elementary level help with getting this up and online. (i.e., be kind and gentle)

Thanks All!

orange pips! orange pips!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try using phpMyAdmin. You can place it on your local server, export all your table setup and data, then just copy and paste it into a phpMyAdmin session on your remote server.

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by web-guy
    How do I send up my local MySQL database to the remote host's servers without having to re-enter all this data?
    You could use phpMyAdmin http://www.phpmyadmin.net/ to create a dump of your existing database (or use the command line tools if you are comfortable using them).

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/mysqldump.html

The created file might be very large depending on the size of your current database.

You can then fill the new database with the dump-file you created (again, use phpMyAdmin or command line).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply - but as I mentioned, I need some light-level help here (can you say - newby!) I have never used phpMyAdmin nor do I know what or how to work with it.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds great, I'm just not sure what you are saying. Thanks for the reply, any help is appreciated.

La la la la la bronze trophy lieut_data's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by web-guy
    Thanks for the quick reply - but as I mentioned, I need some light-level help here (can you say - newby!) I have never used phpMyAdmin nor do I know what or how to work with it.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
    Which is why phpMyAdmin was suggested -- check out the site, and look over the documentation. Once you have it setup and running on your remote server, just insert your DB's contents.

Now with shell access, twould be much easier... but
    My name is Steve, and I'm a super-villian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local to Remote - placing database on server - Solution!

Quote Originally Posted by lieut_data
    Which is why phpMyAdmin was suggested -- check out the site, and look over the documentation. Once you have it setup and running on your remote server, just insert your DB's contents.

Now with shell access, twould be much easier... but
    Yes, it might be easier. However, I messed with phpmyadmin, got it working locally, then got it working on the remote. Locally I selected the database file I needed to send to the remote host, then exported it, saved it as a txt file. Opened the remote database, then opened SQL query session and pasted the txt file in there...and.....wham! It's up there running perfect.

Thanks all!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't take you 10 minutes to set up phpMyAdmin on your local machine; I've used it before and it's very easy to install and use

Dump each table and upload the files to the server and import them into your database from there.

Btw do you have DW ? Not sure but maybe there is a way to use DW in some fashion ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I have Dreamweaver, but phpmyAdmin worked out great. Thanks for helping!