SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Positioning and Designing with CSS

I'm not a total newbie to CSS, but I'm not far off. I've read tutorials on Sitepoint, at Webmonkey and a few other different places, but they all seem to pretty much cover the same thing. I can set the font that I want to use from an external style sheet and I can change the colour of my <h1> headings, but I want to go a bit further and learn how to actually design with CSS.

Last week I found the CSS competition which Sitepoint were holding, and seeing as I've always found it easier to learn by hands on stuff, I thought I'd download the HTML and start messing around with it a bit myself. That's where the problems came in.

Just trying to place the various blocks of text became a real hassle, and it slowly started to dawn on me that I need to do quite a bit more studying to get up to the same sort of level as those people submitting entries to the competition.

I've downloaded the trial version of Dreamweaver MX 2004, which is really big on styles and that has helped a lot. But I don't really want to get Dreamweaver to do everything for me, without really understanding what's going on.

So what I'm looking for are some intermediate tutorials that perhaps take you through setting up a whole page without tables. Dan Shafer's final article on designing without tables started to scratch the surface, but I was wondering if anyone knew any other articles along those lines.

Thanks alot

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sitepoint have written a book all about this

Might be a good start!

-Sam
    Sam Hastings