SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have finally started making revenue off my site using BURST! Media ads.

However, the CPM and CPC are not what I want. How should I go about getting people to advertise on my site who will pay more?

Thanks

Jim
    http://www.freejavahelp.com
    Making Java REALLY Easy
    Tutorials, Forums, and Articles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying you want to leave Burst! and sell your own advertising? Or you just want better results with Burst!?

One recommendation I can make is to optimize your ads by de-selecting low-paying CPC campaigns and such and making full use of your default ads through the personal campaigns.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea Marc, but even then, Burst revenue is truly horrible!
    I'm glad I didn't sign up with them on an exclusive basis, since they hardly reel in any revenue
    True, the exclusive campaigns they sometimes have for you are pleasant, but with a bit more effort you will be able to get those advertisers to your site individually as well.

Burst has decreased dramatically over the past few months. I can't seem to understand why they don't quit accepting members and start to improve on their advertisers ...
    Mike Ossendrijver
    Sales, AdSensor - Quality Online Marketing
    mike@adsensor.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, what are personal campaigns?

I am by no means looking to leave BURST!, but i am definitely looking to get more money out of it. I haven't gotten any proposed campaigns yet.......but I have only been a member for maybe 4 days.

Do you all get proposed campaigns or no?

Thanks

Jim
    Making Java REALLY Easy

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have started to not accept new members, in many categories. My site was rejected, not because it didn't meet the requirements, but because they already were having problems selling ads for that category, and didn't want to overload it any more.

Freejavahelp: I would suggest you actively pursue advertisers, then when they ask how to pay (ie, when you get them to commit) refer them to BURST. In a way, it's kinda like selling your own ads but then using a network to display them. Also, like mjames said, deselect all the very low paying campaigns, they're just not worth it.

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adam: If you sold the ad yourself why would you want to refer them to Burst and loose half the money? Serving your own ads is not difficult and a simple management script can be a very small investment. I can tell you that if I bought advertising on a site and went through the whole process and then was told to go through it again with Burst, I would go elsewhere. If there is one thing that is not lacking in this market it's available banner space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How should I pursue these advertisers?

Jim
    Making Java REALLY Easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freejavahelp
    First of all, what are personal campaigns?

I am by no means looking to leave BURST!, but i am definitely looking to get more money out of it. I haven't gotten any proposed campaigns yet.......but I have only been a member for maybe 4 days.

Do you all get proposed campaigns or no?

Thanks

Jim
    Personal campaigns are a feature Burst! allows - you can setup other advertising from other companies to run for the impressions Burst! doesn't sell. This way, you don't get any un-used inventory.

I've gotten many proposed campaigns, one actually was quite successful in October, and another this month, but I cancelled it because it was a lousy CPC one. When you get proposed campaigns (and you eventually will), don't get too excited - many of them fall through!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M James, what other companies do you recommend?

So you are saying that I could only use the highest paying ads from BURST!., and use the highest paying ads from another company too?

Jim
    Making Java REALLY Easy

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Engage is a great solution to use along with Burst! ...
    I use Engage as a primary, and let Burst! serve my default ads for Engage ... I feel Engage has been holding as one of the best in the bad web advertising market - if I'm correct they pay higher than DC's Sonar Network does, and other programs aimed at the same target of websites.

If you really, really have a lot of traffic to spare and can make good money of even your Burst! defaults as well - I'd use Engage -> Burst! -> Fastclick or something ...

Just my $.02 ... about the amount you get at a bad CPC company nowadays
    Mike Ossendrijver
    mike@adsensor.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how well does engage pay? on average CPM? also, how much of the money do they take for themselves?

Jim
    Making Java REALLY Easy

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard the Engage pay really differs - a friend of mine has about 3 times as much as impressions as I have, but only gets $1.25 CPM NET (meaning that's the amount you get paid, Engage has already eaten their commission on that amount) -- I am able to reel in $2.25 with them, though - which is a rather big difference I think.

By the way, does anyone know if Engage is still actively accepting sites?
    Mike Ossendrijver
    mike@adsensor.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freejavahelp
    M James, what other companies do you recommend?

So you are saying that I could only use the highest paying ads from BURST!., and use the highest paying ads from another company too?

Jim
    Engage.com is a good choice - let us know how it works out. As for your other statement, I am saying that in a way. You should delete any extremely low-paying CPC campaigns and optimize your ads for only the best ones.